Everyone wants to be successful in life, especially at things like their career, business, and family. Sadly though, success is not always the outcome in our life endeavors. In fact, failure can sometimes be a common experience, especially when one is on the cutting edge of innovation. Inconvenient and uncomfortable as it may be, everyone experiences failure at some point. In our post today, we will consider the most common reasons why people fail. In addition, we will discuss practical things that can be done to avoid failure. Finally, we will conclude with some tips on what to do if you fail and how to turn it around.
The premise of our Innovate Today post today is based on two primary considerations:
- That everyone experiences failure
- That our failures have an underlying cause or shortcoming that caused them
- We can learn from our failures, correct them and achieve success in the end.
Before going on to discuss common reasons why people fail, here are some related posts you might find useful:
- How to Overcome the Fear of Failure
- How to Start Over after Failure
- Five Keys to Learning from Failure
- Top Five Reasons Why Small Businesses Fail
- Five Ways being Persistent leads to Success
- Ten Daily Habits of Successful People to Follow
- Seven Rules of Success for Everyday Life
- How Hard Work is the Key to Success
Also, if you are yet to subscribe to our mailing list, do consider doing so today. Your free subscription allows us to send you inspiring posts like this directly via email. Simply enter your name and email below to subscribe:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Its completely free and you can unsubscribe at any time.
In the next section, we will discuss seven common reasons why people fail.
Seven Common Reasons Why People Fail
Like we noted earlier, failure is a common experience to all humans. However, while it is common, most failures can be attributed to specific reasons. In this section, we will attempt to highlight seven such reasons that ultimately result in failure.
- Failure to Plan: While this may seem generic, the truth is that it is hard to succeed at something we don’t plan towards. To succeed, we must identify a target we wish to reach.
- Inadequate Preparations: Another reason why some people fail to achieve their goals is because of inadequate preparation. Like situations when one does not prepare at all, inadequate preparations can create mistakes that lead to failure. To succeed, we must commit to prepare for all eventualities, especially those we don’t anticipate.
- Lack of Follow Through: To achieve success, we must have the discipline to set goals and pursue them till they are accomplished. Setting goals on paper and never following through to implement them is a guaranteed way to fail.
- Lack of Determination: Most people fail because they lack determination to keep going in the face of setbacks and uncertainties. Determination gives us courage, and fortitude of mind in the face of challenges. Without it, there is the risk of easily giving up and settling for failure.
- Negativity: Negativity has the potential to dampen one’s enthusiasm, motivation, and creativity. People who engage in negative thinking or have negative people around them may find it harder to succeed.
- Fear of Failure: Ironic as it may seem, the fear of failure can be a reason why some people fail at their goals. For example, such fear could make one avoid trying unconventional strategies which could work, eventually leading to failure.
- Lack of Persistence: Sometimes, the reason why people end up as failures is because they give up too easily. At the end of the day, one failure does not define a person. Rather, people are defined by the end of their stories. So long as one has the perseverance to keep going, even in the face of failure, they can still succeed.
In your opinion, what other common issues cause people to fail? Feel free to leave us your comments at the end of this post or on social media.
In the next section, we will list five practical ways to avoid failure.
Five Practical ways to Avoid Failure
Here are some practical ways we can avoid common pitfalls that cause failure:
- Stop Procrastinating: One practical way to avoid the common pitfalls that result in failure is to stop procrastination. By taking this singular step, we can ensure that we spend adequate time planning, preparing, and following through on goals. We can prevent our impulse to procrastinate by limiting distractions and focusing on prioritized goals.
- Get Organized: Another practical way to avoid failure is to get organized. Like we noted earlier, one reason why people fail is because they do not have clear plans and goals. By getting organized, we can create the structure needed to encourage success.
- Refuse to be Afraid to Fail: It’s interesting to note that throughout history, we see cases of people who surmounted great obstacles to achieve great success. In most cases, these people failed several times before eventually succeeding. These people were never so afraid to fail that they did not try new and unproven strategies. Instead, they were persistent and changed tactics till they achieved success.
- Watch your Habits: Habits are formed from repeated acts that come from repeated decisions. Certain habits have the potential to affect our reasoning faculties, capacity to make decisions and even our health. We must ask ourselves what habits we have that are not productive and work to change them.
- Set audacious Goals: Our final tip on how to avoid failure is to set audacious goals. Sometimes, people don’t succeed simply because they don’t set big enough goals. Setting such goals has a way of encouraging us to give our best towards achieving them.
What other steps do you take to avoid failure in your own life? Feel free to share them with us in the comments section below.
What to Do If You Fail
Like we’ve said repeatedly, failure is a part of life. In fact, some of the best lessons of life can be learnt from failures. Nevertheless, is there an ideal way to handle failure? What steps should one take if one fails at a goal or task? In this section, we share some ideas on what to do if you fail. Here they are:
- Don’t Give Up: Our natural inclinations when we fail is to give up that goal. However, most times, that is not the best decision to make. Like we saw earlier that failure may have been because of any number of reasons which could be fixed. Instead, we recommend taking a step back to review why you failed and taking steps to do better next time.
- Take Responsibility: Another common tendency we have when we fail is to blame others, or situations for our failures. That is not right. If we are willing to take the credit when we succeed, we should also be willing to do the same if we fail. Besides this, taking responsibility helps us identify the real reasons why we fail, so it doesn’t happen again.
- Learn from the Situation: All failures happen for a reason. For example, a business may fail because of lack of finances, or proper marketing or market and customer analysis. Yet, regardless of why failure occurs, we must be willing to take a step back, learn from it and come back stronger. Approaching our failures with denial only makes us more liable to repeat the same mistakes again.
- Move Forward: Once we’ve learnt what went wrong and why we failed, we must also have the courage to move on. Learning from our mistakes is not truly useful if we cannot make use of what we learnt to create success.
In your opinion, what are the most common reasons why people fail? Do you think there are general reasons why people fail to achieve their goals? How do you think people should work towards achieving more success in their lives? Feel free to let us know what you think by leaving a comment. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
As is our custom, we would like to end today’s post with a funny quote. Our funny quote today is by Rose (Betty White), from the Golden Girls. She said:
My mother always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana.
What do you think? Do we naturally get better with age? Let us know what you think by leaving a comment in the comments section at the end of this post.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great week ahead, continue to stay safe and we will see you soon with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.