Today, we live in a digital age where information about literally anything is available at the touch of a button. While this is a huge leap forward for mankind, it has also created several challenges. For example, have you ever been sidetracked by too much information while working on a project? Or have you ever gone online to read the news and ended up browsing on Instagram for hours? Chances are that like everyone else, these distractions also affect you every day. So how do we block out such distractions and increase our concentration? We know that improved concentration can help us learn new things, get projects done faster and perform tasks efficiently. In this post, we will attempt to answer these questions. We will also share seven useful tips on how to improve concentration and achieve more with your time.
What is so bad about being distracted occasionally? After all, if it doesn’t harm anyone, it may not be so hazardous, right? The truth is that the most harmful thing about distractions is the time they steal from us. Improving our mental focus can help us make better use of our time to achieve even more.
Before we proceed, here are some related posts on the subject that you might enjoy:
- Six Useful Tips on How to Focus on your Goals
- How to Stay Focused in a World Full of Distractions
- Five Ways a Positive Attitude helps create Success
- Seven Productive Ways to Spend your Free Time
- Twenty Inspiring Quotes about Time
- Top Twenty-One Oprah Winfrey Quotes to Inspire You
- Five Benefits of a Healthy Lifestyle
Also, as we like to remind, please subscribe to our electronic mailing list, if you are yet to do so. Your free subscription would allow us to send inspiring posts like this to you via email. Simply enter your name and email address below to get started:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In the next section, we will take a look at some of the negative effects of poor concentration. We will then go on to share some useful tips on how to improve concentration.
Five Negative Effects of Poor Concentration
Earlier in this post, we mentioned how poor concentration is a time thief and delays accomplishment of goals. Here are five other negative effects of poor concentration:
- An inability to maintain focus for extended periods of time. In turn, this can lead to mediocre results, missed deadlines and an overall poor performance on projects and tasks.
- Poor concentration can also prevent one from being able to learn and retain new information. This can be particularly detrimental while trying to improve or learn a new skill.
- It can also affect one’s ability to make calculated and balanced decisions.
- Poor concentration can result in reduced productivity and difficulty in achieving targeted goals.
- Lastly, an inability to concentrate can lead to frustration, irrational behavior and even depression.
These are some of the reasons why a focus on improving concentration is important.
Seven Useful Tips on How to Improve Concentration
Here are some useful tips on how to improve concentration, increase attention span and stay focused on important tasks.
- Get Adequate Sleep: Not getting adequate sleep can affect one’s ability to concentrate, think and make sound decisions. Researchers have shown that sleep deprivation can even have similar effects to being drunk. Doctors recommend at least 7 hours of sleep everyday to keep the brain at optimal capacity.
- Reduce Distraction: While it is true that there are distractions all around us, there are practical ways we can reduce their effects. For example, if one needs to study, it’s probably best not to do it with the TV off. If you think about it, distractions are the primary reason for breaks in concentration. And when the distraction is significant enough, it can completely turn our attention away from the task at hand.
- Practice Mindfulness: Mindfulness means being aware of one’s thoughts, feelings, physical sensations, and environment. While it may be an odd concept, it is quite practical. By practicing active mindfulness, we can take control of our thoughts and focus on what needs to be done.
- Live Healthy: Another way to improve concentration is to maintain a healthy lifestyle. As you can imagine, this includes good choices in what we eat, when we sleep and how we exercise. Chances are that one will be better positioned to focus when one is healthy.
- Avoid Multitasking: In recent years, new research about multitasking has shown that it can have a negative effect on productivity. Instead, the research shows that by focusing on one thing at a time, we can accomplish more.
- Spend Time in Nature: Spending time outside, with nature is also said to help with concentration. For example, when you are unable to focus, sometimes, it’s best to take a break to relax. You can do this by spending 15 minutes outside every day. Studies show that besides helping to reduce stress, it can also improve concentration.
- Take a Break: Like we said earlier, taking a short break during the workday has been found to improve mental concentration and promote good performance. It helps take your mind off the subject matter so you can refocus when your break is over.
What steps do you take to refocus on a task when you are distracted? How effective are those techniques? Feel free to leave us a comment with your thoughts and feedback. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
We would like to end today’s post with a funny quote from Pablo Picasso, the Spanish painter and sculptor. He said:
I’d like to live like a poor man – only with lots of money.
It’s quite funny that Prince Phillip said that. Do you agree with Picasso? How would you like to live your life? Let us know by leaving a comment at the end of this post.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great weekend, stay safe and healthy. We will see you again next week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.