Maya Angelou was a world-renowned poet, author, actress, writer, director, and civil rights activist. Even though she came from humble beginnings, she rose to become one of the most recognized female poets on earth. In 1993, she was invited to recite her poem On the Pulse of Morning at President Bill Clinton’s inauguration. Over a career spanning more than 50 years, she received several awards, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She was also awarded more than fifty honorary degrees from various Universities and Colleges. She was a true inspiration to her generation. In this post, we will share fifteen inspiring Maya Angelou quotes about women, life, and love. We hope they inspire you as much as they did us.
Maya Angelou was born on April 4, 1928, in St. Louis, Missouri to Bailey Johnson, a doorman and Vivian Baxter. As a child, she faced several challenges, including the separation of her parents and being molested. Despite these challenges, she discovered she had a passion for books and literature and began to pursue it. After taking several odd jobs, she joined the Harlem Writers Guild where she met several authors and activists. It was at this time that she also began her activism, becoming involved in the Pro-Castro, Anti-Apartheid, and decolonization movements.
Before moving on, here are some related posts you might also enjoy:
- Top Twenty-One Oprah Winfrey Quotes to Inspire You
- Fifteen Inspiring Mother Theresa Quotes about Life
- Twenty-one Inspiring Quotes by Martin Luther King Jr.
- Ten Inspiring Quotes by Eleanor Roosevelt
- Fifteen Inspiring Quotes by Michelle Obama
- Twenty-Five Inspiring Quotes for Women
- Fifteen Quotes about Seizing Opportunity to Motivate You
- Twenty-Five Personal Goals to Set for Yourself this Year
In addition, if you’ve been inspired by this post, we encourage you to subscribe to our mailing list today. Your free subscription allows us to send you inspiring posts like this directly through email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Like we said, its free and you can unsubscribe at any time.
In the next section, we will share at five interesting things about Maya Angelou you probably didn’t know. We will then go on to share some inspiring Maya Angelou quotes about women and life.
Five Interesting Facts about Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou lived an amazing life. For example, did you know that in the early 60’s, she lived and studied in Ghana? She even became an administrator at the University of Ghana and a feature editor for The African Review.
Here are five other interesting facts about Maya Angelou that you probably didn’t know:
- The name Maya was given to her as a nickname by her older brother, Bailey Jr. Her real name was Marguerite Annie Johnson.
- She was the first black woman to work as a Cable Car Conductor in San Francisco. She was also the first black woman to recite a poem at the inauguration of a United States President.
- Maya Angelou gave birth to her first and only child, Guy, when she was 16 years old.
- Maya never went to a college but received over fifty honorary degrees.
- She learnt and mastered six other languages besides English, including French, Spanish, Arabic, and the West African language, Fanti.
Fifteen Inspiring Maya Angelou Quotes about Women, Life and Love
These specially curated Maya Angelou quotes about women show how impactful her works still are today. We hope you find them as inspiring as we did.
- Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women.
- If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.
- You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
- Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can’t practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage.
- A wise woman wishes to be no one’s enemy; a wise woman refuses to be anyone’s victim.
- Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
- I would like to be known as an intelligent woman, a courageous woman, a loving woman, a woman who teaches by being.
- Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation which is not nurturing to the whole woman.
- My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
- Each of us has that right, that possibility, to invent ourselves daily. If a person does not invent herself, she will be invented. So, to be bodacious enough to invent ourselves is wise.
- When you know you are of worth, you don’t have to raise your voice, you don’t have to become rude, you don’t have to become vulgar; you just are. And you are like the sky is, as the air is, the same way water is wet. It doesn’t have to protest.
- A woman’s heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek Him just to find her.
- A leader sees greatness in other people. He nor she can be much of a leader if all she sees is herself.
- We have to confront ourselves. Do we like what we see in the mirror? And, according to our light, according to our understanding, according to our courage, we will have to say yea or nay – and rise!
- Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.
Which of these Maya Angelou quotes did you like best? We loved the ninth quote about not just surviving in life but thriving and doing it with passion and style. Let us know which quotes from our list were your favorite. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote for today is by Robert A. Heinlein, the American Science Fiction Author. He said:
Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.
Do you agree? How is progress made? Leave us your thoughts and comments below. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great week ahead and we will see you later this week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.