It’s interesting to note that the year 2021 is gradually winding to a close. In that regard, what personal goals did you set for yourself at the beginning of the year? Also, how many of those set goals have you been able to achieve so far? Regardless of what goals you have or have not been able to reach, we believe much more is possible. So, we encourage you not to give up but rather review your progress to date and made needed improvements. In this post, we will share twenty-five examples of personal goals you can set for yourself. We believe these examples will stimulate progress in your life and help you achieve your goals for the year.
If you think about it, life is really all about time goals. For example, we have all been given time. However, depending on what and how we use our time we could be called successful or failures. Ultimately, our task in life is to use our time as best we can to accomplish our specific goals.
Before we proceed, here are some related posts you might find helpful:
- How to Discover your Purpose
- Fifteen Inspiring Quotes about Purpose
- Seven Productive Ways to Spend your Free Time
- The Power of Purpose and Direction
- Twenty Inspiring Quotes about Time
- How to Build great Relationships in the Workplace
- Five Personal Development Activities to advance your Life
- Seven Essential Personal Qualities for a Successful Year ahead
Also, if you’re not yet subscribed to our mailing list, do consider registering today. Your free subscription allows us to send you inspiring posts like this directly through email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Joining our mailing list is free and you can unsubscribe at any time.
In the next section, we will discuss what SMART Personal Goals are and how to set them.
What are SMART Personal Goals and How do You set Them?
First, let’s answer the question of what personal goals are. Personal goals are short- or long-term goals related to your career, relationships, finances, or any other facet of life. Personal goals generally focus on one’s individual mental, physical, financial or developmental needs.
As you probably know, SMART is an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound goals.
Hence, by combining these definitions, we can define Smart personal goals as reasonable goals set within measurable boundaries. Research has shown that when goals are SMART, they are more likely to be achieved.
So how do you set these SMART personal goals? Here are four easy steps to use when setting them:
- Be clear and concise about what you want to achieve.
- Make your goals are SMART by adding measurable parameters to track their progress.
- Set challenging but achievable goals.
- Your SMART personal goals, whatever they are, should be relevant to who you are and what you want from life.
Twenty-Five Personal Goals to Set for Yourself this Year
Here is a list of personal goals you could set for yourself this year. We hope they inspire you to set your own goals and achieve them:
- Read More: If you want to rise above mediocrity, reading is a necessity. This is because reading helps us connect with the ideas and thoughts of others to produce even better thoughts. Try to assign at least 30 minutes a day to reading something new and insightful.
- Eat Healthier: To ensure you are healthy, eat balanced, low carbohydrate foods.
- Create a Routine: Another excellent personal goal to set for the remainder of the year is to create a routine. Routines are powerful because they ultimately form habits which eventually shape our characters and who we are.
- Establish a Work-Life Balance: This year, endeavor to demarcate and balance your work and personal life.
- Improve your Time Management Skills: Improve these skills by learning to prioritize and organize your schedule.
- Learn New Skills: Learning, as they say, is a lifelong journey. If you are enthusiastic enough, you can learn new skills often. We recommend that you try to pick up one new skill every month.
- Focus on your Wellbeing: Focus on one’s wellbeing is essential to having a more positive outlook on life; regardless of difficulties.
- Ditch your Comfort Zone: To accomplish something great this year, learn to wander, however briefly, out of your comfort zone. Doing this will challenge you in new ways and open you up to new ideas and opportunities.
- Improve your Emotional Intelligence: Improved emotional intelligence can be useful for customer relationships, professional networking, and negotiations.
- Start a Side Hustle: Before this year ends, we encourage you to start a side hustle. It is the perfect way to increase your income while also developing your entrepreneurial skills.
- Eliminate one Bad Habit: While it is good to form new habits, it is equally important to get rid of bad ones. Identify your unproductive habits and focus on eliminating at least one before the year ends.
- Revisit your Career Goals: Make it your personal goal this year to revisit your career goals. Take time to consider your short- and long-term goals and how best to achieve them.
- Practice Kindness: Kindness has a natural replicating effect. This year, try to practice it because it helps others and can make one fulfilled.
- Be more Proactive: Being proactive means understanding and anticipating issues and getting ahead of them. Being proactive helps get one prepared ahead of time and confident in the face of challenges.
- Let Go of the Past: To be sure, letting go of the past can be difficult to do. However, to accomplish new, bigger and better dreams, one must be willing to let the past go. Think of it this way; letting the past go means embracing the future.
- Place Value on Relationships: Relationships add value and meaning to our lives.
- Evaluate Regularly: This means evaluate your goals, plans and progress often. Doing this helps identify areas of strength or weakness so improvements can be made.
- Strive for Financial Stability: Simply put, financial stability is the freedom to do whatever one likes without getting into unnecessary debt.
- Listen More: Another personal goal to set for yourself this year is to listen more. When this happens, you open yourself up to learning and avoiding unnecessary conflicts.
- Start Networking: Networking, especially when done to build one’s career can help nurture lasting professional relationships. Very often, such relationships lead to bigger roles and opportunities.
- Keep a Gratitude Journal: This could help one pay close attention to the good things in one’s life, as opposed to the bad. It ultimately makes for a more optimistic outlook on life.
- Increase Spirituality: In our context, this means taking steps to draw closer to God (or whatever deity you believe in). For example, as a Christian, we encourage you to read your Bible often, pray and practice your Faith.
- Learn Conflict Resolution: Conflicts are normal and surprisingly common part of life. So, it makes sense to learn how to handle and resolve them as amicably as possible.
- Set Boundaries: Setting boundaries can protect you and others from emotional and even physical harm. They are a necessary part of all healthy lifestyles.
- Do What You Love: The last personal goal to set for yourself this year that we will recommend is to do what you love. Loving what you do is the bedrock for living a fulfilled and successful life. It will always give you the motivation and enthusiasm you need to meet your goals.
Which of these goals did you set for yourself already at the beginning of the year? How are you doing sticking to and achieving them so far? What goals on our list would you consider adding to your list of personal goals for this year? Leave us a comment at the end of this post. We would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote today is by President Theodore Roosevelt of the United States of America. He said:
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.
What do you think about this quote? Do you agree with it? Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments at the end of this post.
Did you know that this post is brought to you by Innovate Design Studios Ltd, a web design and graphics company? We provide graphics, branding, web design and website maintenance services. If you’re interested in these services, contact us today to get a free quote and 10% off your next project.
As we like to remind, if you found this post useful, remember to share it on social media. Also remember to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. Our social media handle is @idscreate.
Have a great weekend, stay safe and we will see you again next week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.