Many experts believe that being an optimistic person is largely a function of one’s environment and personality. This is to say that some people have the natural tendency to be cheerful and optimistic. On the other hand, this also means that some people have the tendency to be pessimistic. Besides personality though, experts also believe that one’s environment plays a huge role in one’s general outlook on life. In other words, regardless of natural dispositions, we can decide to change our outlook on life and become optimistic people. So, today, we will take an in depth look at optimism, why its important, and how to be more optimistic. We believe this post will give you helpful tips on how to be even more optimistic in your outlook.
Do you know that for some people, the notion of optimism seems frivolous and foolhardy? Not because they don’t expect good things to happen to them but rather because it seems unrealistic as a notion. To them, optimists always seem to have their heads in the clouds, and never planted in reality. And while this may be true for some people, we recommend that you consider practicing Realistic Optimism.
Realistic optimism suggests that you can look at the proverbial glass as half full but not settle for that. Instead, you can be glad that it’s half full and recognize what you need to make it completely full.
We wrote an excellent post on Realistic Optimism we would like to share with you along with other related posts. You can see the links below:
- Living Life like a Realistic Optimist
- Fifteen Quotes on Optimism to Brighten your Day
- How to Stay Positive and Think like an Optimist
- Twenty-five Motivational Good Morning Quotes to start your Day
- Five Tips on How to Never Give Up on your Dreams
- How to make a Positive Impact on your World
- Top Twenty-One Oprah Winfrey Quotes to Inspire You
Also, if you’re finding this post inspiring, we would like to encourage you to subscribe to our mailing list. Your free subscription allows us to send you inspiring posts like this via email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In the next section, we will take a quick look at the meaning of optimism.
What is Optimism?
According to Cambridge Dictionary, Optimism is “the quality of being full of hope and emphasizing the good parts of a situation, or a belief that something good will happen”. It is a mental attitude that’s portrayed by hope and confidence that positive things will happen to you.
In practical terms, an optimist expects good things to happen and is not surprised when it does. On the other hand, a pessimist expects things to go wrong and for bad things to happen. In addition, when bad things do happen to them, it only reinforces their belief that more negative things will happen.
Its interesting to note that optimism and positivity go together as you can’t be an optimist without a positive mindset.
Why is it Important to be Optimistic?
Okay, so besides the fact that optimism gives you a different outlook on life, why is it so important? Here are five reasons why optimism is important:
- Being optimistic plays the important role in reducing depression and chronic stress. In other words, it helps one lead a better, longer, healthier life.
- Optimism helps one see opportunities in life events and experiences that otherwise would be hidden.
- Optimists have positive attitudes, which leads to better working relations and social ties.
- Optimism does not allow one bad experience to damage one’s expectations for future success.
- Optimism gives one greater self-esteem and helps one live life in control.
Five Habits of Optimistic People
Now that we’ve discussed why optimism is so important, let’s look at some common habits of optimistic people.
- They show Gratitude
- They are Open Minded
- Surround themselves with Like-minded People
- They Forgive
- They Love their Lives
In the next section, we will share five tips on how to be an optimistic person.
Five Tips on How to be an Optimistic Person
Like we mentioned earlier, studies do show that optimism is genetically influenced. However, those studies also indicate that genetic influence is minimal compared to environmental influences. In other words, regardless of your genetic disposition, you can live life with an optimistic outlook.
On that note, here are five helpful tips on how to be a more optimistic person:
- Keep a Gratitude Diary: Humans naturally tend to keep mental records of wrongs and injustices done to them than good. To become a more optimistic person, one should make a deliberate effort to reflecting on the good things we experience. An excellent way to do this is to keep a gratitude diary and make daily entries of good things.
- Surround yourself with Positivity: It is said that he that walks with the wise will also become wise. This means that by simple association, wisdom can be acquired. We believe that the same goes for positivity. By spending time with positive people, you can naturally give yourself a positive outlook on life.
- Challenge negative Thoughts: The negative thoughts we sometimes have about ourselves are based on our insecurities, fears, and doubts. To become a more optimistic person, pay attention to your thoughts and constantly challenge those negative thoughts. You can do this by consciously replacing the negative thoughts with positive and productive thoughts. Another way to challenge negative thoughts is to write and read positive confessions to yourself regularly.
- Focus on the Solution rather than the Problem: Most times, focusing on your problems rarely fixes them. Rather, it hinders positive thinking. Instead, understand the problem and focus on possible solutions you can use to fix it.
- Take Control of Your Life: To become a more optimistic person, learn to take control of your life. By this, we mean do not let anyone tell you who you are or make major life decisions for you. Instead, take charge and refuse to give excuses or blame others for your failures. Be optimistic about your life and work hard to achieve the goals you’ve set for yourself.
Are you an optimistic person? How do you keep yourself optimistic, especially when things look bleak? Leave us a comment with your thoughts and feedback. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
As is our custom, we will end this post with a funny quote. Today, our funny quote is by Prince Phillip, member of the British Royal family and husband to Queen Elizabeth II. He said:
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife.
It’s quite funny that Prince Phillip said it. Do you agree with Prince Phillip? Leave us a comment to let us know.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great week ahead, stay safe and we will see you later in the week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.