Though it may be hard to admit, the truth is that everyone has limitations around which they live. And while some of these self-imposed limits may hold us back, not all such limits are bad. For example, the moral and ethical self-limits we place on ourselves help us and our communities become better. However, in this post, we will discuss those limitations we place on ourselves, intentionally or subconsciously that hold us back. Part of the journey of life involves understanding the weaknesses we have and learning how to let them go. So, in this post, we will discuss what self-imposed limits are, and how to break through such boundaries. We will also share seven inspiring quotes on breaking through limitations to encourage you to live life to the fullest. We hope this post inspires you to greater and more impactful accomplishments.
It was William F. Halsey Jr., an Admiral in the US Navy in World War II that said:
There are no great people in this world, only great challenges which ordinary people rise to meet.
We believe that statement still rings true, even today. Our world is filled with challenges, problems and complex issues that need ordinary people to rise to meet. Sadly though, many such problems remain unsolved and will remain unsolved until we can break through our self-imposed limits. These self-limitations make us believe that we are incapable of great feats, of success, or even prosperity. As a result, many live their lives never tapping into the full potential of their gifts.
Today, we would like to encourage you to make a commitment to begin to let go of such thinking. Like everyone else that has achieved greatness, you too can achieve it.
What are Self-Imposed Limitations?
So, what are these self-imposed limitations people put on themselves? Also, if we can subconsciously place them on ourselves, how do we identify and remove them? To put it in simple terms, self-imposed limitations are restraints or boundaries people place on themselves. They place limits on what we can allow ourselves to do or achieve. And like we said earlier, such self-limitations do have their positive uses. However, when used wrongly, they translate into excuses and unfulfilled goals.
A major part of understanding what limits we have in our lives involves understanding our self-image. In other words, how you see yourself has a lot to do with how you live your life. For example, do you think positive thoughts and hope for success and good things? Or do you put yourself down, hold on to your mistakes and refuse to forgive yourself for them? While these are simple questions, they could shed some light on things you think you cannot do.
Seven Inspirational Quotes about Breaking your Limits
In this section, we would like to share seven inspirational quotes about breaking through self-imposed limits. We hope they will inspire you deeply.
- To fail is a natural consequence of trying, to succeed takes time and prolonged effort in the face of unfriendly odds. To think it will be any other way, no matter what you do, is to invite yourself to be hurt and to limit your enthusiasm for trying again. – David Viscott
- Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve. – Mary Kay Ash
- There is no limit to what free men and free women in a free market with free enterprise can accomplish when people are free to follow their dream. – Jack Kemp
- The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent. – David Hockney
- Try to keep your mind open to possibilities and your mouth closed on matters that you don’t know about. Limit your always and your nevers. – Amy Poehler
- If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise. – Robert Fritz
- If you have ideas, you have the main asset you need, and there isn’t any limit to what you can do with your business and your life. Ideas are any man’s greatest asset. – Harvey S. Firestone
Which of these quotes on breaking through your limits did you like best? Leave us a comment below.
How to Break Boundaries and Self-Imposed Limits
So, how do we break through these personal limitations we have around our lives? Well, like we said earlier, it really all boils down to self-perception.
Here are six ways to break those self-imposed limits:
- Invest in your Self-Development: As in real estate, self-development helps enhance our perception of ourselves. It helps us face our doubts, fears, and failures, learn from them and move past them. Through self-development, we can build our lives and increase our perception of ourselves. Such an investment could be as small as spending a few minutes daily to read or listen to motivational messages. Or it could be a long-term plan like taking a course, or training. Either way, self-development can help us break through our limitations.
- Don’t Give-in to Societal Pressures: Societal pressure is a real and powerful force that shapes lives for good or bad. This is why people from certain cities or countries think and act in similar ways. However, such negative pressures should be resisted. For example, if you live in a corrupt society, make an extra effort not to succumb to corrupt practices yourself.
- Ignore Negative Opinions: As social beings, hanging around negative, small-minded people can make one act like them. Instead, refuse to give credit to negative opinions, especially when they are directed towards you. Instead, live your life by high standards and disregard what others have to say, whether good or bad, about it.
- Break free from the Habit of Assumptions: When we allow assumptions to creep into our lives, we allow ourselves to make decisions on unconfirmed facts. Instead, confirm the facts about an issue before making definitive decisions. Also, periodically review your major life decisions and verify that they made based on sound facts.
- Stop comparing yourself to Others: Another way to break through self-imposed limitations is to stop comparing yourself to others. Comparisons rarely ever showcase your strengths and capabilities. Instead, they highlight one’s limitations and shortcomings against someone else. As you can imagine, this in turn can lead to envy, jealousy, greed, and other moral failures. Instead, learn to live in contentment, while aspiring for greater things.
- Ask for Help: Self isolation and withdrawal are usually our response when we hit rock bottom. However, our reaction at such times should be to reach out for help. To break free from self-imposed limitations, we must seek different perspectives, and help from our support systems.
What personal limitations have you discovered in your own life? How have you dealt with and over come them? Feel free to leave us your comments at the end of this post. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Before you go, here are some related posts on the subject that you might find helpful:
- Five Helpful Strategies for Overcoming Challenges
- Fifteen Thought Provoking Quotes about Risk Taking
- Seven Rules of Success for Everyday Life
- How to Succeed in Life: Ten things to give up
- How to make a Positive Impact on your World
- Twenty Self Improvement Tips to Living a better Life
- How to Let go of the Past and Move Forward
- Fifteen Quotes on Living without Limits
Also, if you are yet to subscribe to our electronic mailing list, please do so today. Your subscription allows us to send you inspiring and helpful posts like this one directly through email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Your subscription is free and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Today’s Funny Quote
As is our custom, we will end this post with a funny quote. Today, our funny quote is by Maxime Lagacé, the Canadian Professional Ice Hockey Goalkeeper. He said:
I thought not fitting in was something I had to fix. Now I see it as my superpower.
How do you see your unique traits? Do you see them as a disability or a superpower? Leave us a comment with your thoughts on the matter. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great week ahead and remember that you can overcome your self-imposed limitations. We will see you later this week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.