In December 1996, Kofi Annan was appointed Secretary General of the United Nations, an intergovernmental organization tasked with maintaining world peace. His appointment came at a time when regional wars, coup d’états, and genocides were rampant around the world. Additionally, his appointment was a first for several reasons, including that he was the first African to head the organization. During his two-term tenure, Kofi Annan was able to revamp UN bureaucracy, combat HIV/AIDS and mediate multiple regional wars. His tireless efforts culminated in his being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, in conjunction with the UN, in 2001. In our post today, we would like to share some inspiring quotes by Kofi Annan on diplomacy and governance. We will also share some interesting facts about this great man that you may not know. Our hope is that his quotes inspire you to pursue your goals with passion and a deep sense of mission.
Kofi Atta Annan was born into a Fante aristocratic family in Ghana on April 8, 1939. After completing his education from schools such as Kwame Nkruma University, Macalester College and MIT, he joined the United Nations. In 1962 when he joined, he started as a simple Budget Officer with the UN World Health Organization.
Before discussing more interesting facts about Kofi Annan, here are some related posts you might equally enjoy:
- Twenty-five Motivational Good Morning Quotes to start your Day
- How to Build a Successful Business: Seven Helpful Rules
- Fifteen Inspirational Quotes about Life
- Fifteen Inspiring Mother Theresa Quotes about Life
- Ten Inspiring Quotes by James Earl Jones
- Fifteen Inspiring Quotes by Barack Obama
- Fifteen Inspiring Quotes by Steve Jobs to Motivate You
In addition, we would like to invite you to subscribe to our mailing list today. Your subscription allows us to send inspiring posts like this to you via email. It’s completely free and you can unsubscribe at any time if you so wish. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In the next section, we will share some interesting facts about Kofi Annan.
Interesting facts about Kofi Annan
Here are some interesting facts about Kofi Annan you probably didn’t know:
- Kofi had a twin sister, Efua Atta.
- He was fluent in English, French, and several African languages.
- Before Annan was appointed UN Secretary General, he served as Under-Secretary General for Peacekeeping Operations till 1996.
- Annan was the first Secretary-General appointed from within the ranks of the United Nations staff. He was also the first black man to hold the post and the second African, after Boutros-Ghali of Egypt. His second term began in 2002 and ran through the end of 2006.
- In 2007 he founded the Kofi Annan Foundation to promote better global governance.
Ten Inspiring Quotes by Kofi Annan
Here are ten specially curated quotes by Kofi Annan on diplomacy, governance, and education. We hope you find them as inspiring as we did.
- To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.
- Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.
- If you have a problem and you can’t find a solution, you meet again tomorrow and you keep talking until you find a solution. You can disagree with behavior or a particular position, but you do not resort to calling an opponent worthless.
- You can do a lot with diplomacy, but with diplomacy backed up by force, you can get a lot more done.
- Gender equality is more than a goal in itself. It is a precondition for meeting the challenge of reducing poverty, promoting sustainable development, and building good governance.
- The happiness of any society begins with it the well-being of the families that live in it.
- The world is not ours to keep. We hold it in trust for future generations.
- Education is a human right with immense power to transform. On its foundation rest the cornerstones of freedom, democracy, and sustainable human development.
- If one is going to err, one should err on the side of liberty and freedom.
- We need to create a world that is equitable, that is stable and a world where we bear in mind the needs of others, and not only what we need immediately. We are all in the same boat.
Which of these quotes by Kofi Annan did you find most inspiring? We especially loved the second one on our list about how knowledge is power, and education produces progress. Let us know what you think in the comments section at the end of this post. We would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote for today is by Sir Winston S. Churchill, Statesman and Prime Minister of Great Britain. He said:
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Do you agree? Have you ever experienced the slow movement of truth? Let us know in the comments below.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great week ahead and we will see you later this week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.