For over a hundred years, John D. Rockefeller has been the subject of both admiration and controversy in business. From his humble beginnings as a bookkeeper, he built his businesses and personal wealth to almost unfathomable heights. For example, in 1913, his personal wealth was worth the equivalent today of over Four hundred and Eighteen billion dollars. He was the first ever American billionaire and is considered by many as the richest person in modern history. In this post, we would like to share some interesting things about him and twenty-five inspiring quotes by John D. Rockefeller. Its interesting to also note that John D. Rockefeller spent the last 40yrs of his life as a philanthropist. Records show that at the time of his death, he had given more than half his entire wealth away. We hope his story inspires you to dream big and reach for everything you desire.
The controversy that surrounded Rockefeller revolved around his monopoly over oil through his company, Standard Oil. In the late 1800’s, with the discovery of crude oil, kerosene and later, gasoline became household items. Kerosene was used in lamps all over America and gasoline was used in automobiles and other industrial machinery. At the height of his wealth, Standard Oil controlled over 90% of the US Oil industry. He did this by buying out his competitors and consolidating their businesses into his. However, in 1911, the US Supreme Court ruled that his company was too big for competitors and ordered it dismantled. Standard Oil was dismantled into over thirty smaller companies such as ExxonMobil and Chevron.
Before moving on, here are some related posts we believe you might find equally inspiring:
- Seven Signs of an Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Twenty Inspiring Quotes for Business Owners by Milton Hershey
- Fifteen Inspiring Quotes by Barack Obama
- Five Effective Marketing Strategies to grow your Business
- Fifteen Inspiring Quotes by Steve Jobs to Motivate You
- Ten Inspiring Quotes by Eleanor Roosevelt
- Fifteen Inspirational Quotes about Life
- Fifteen Inspiring Quotes by Michelle Obama
- Seven useful Tips on How to actively Pursue your Dreams
As we like to remind, if you are yet to subscribe to our electronic mailing list, please do so today. Your free subscription allows us to send you inspiring posts like this directly through email. Simply enter your name and email below to subscribe to receive more inspiring posts like this via email:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In the next section, we will share some interesting facts you probably didn’t know about John D. Rockefeller.
Interesting Facts about John D. Rockefeller
- His father was a Con Artist. He was known to falsely referred to himself as a doctor who had found a cure for cancer.
- His mother on the other hand, was a devout Baptist. From an early age, she had instilled in him the habit of saving and thriftiness. These were lessons he used much later in life in his philanthropic endeavors.
- John D. Rockefeller built his first oil refinery in Cleveland, Ohio in 1863. He had sensed the potential for growth in the Oil business and decided to invest everything he had into it.
- As an adult, he celebrated September 26 every year as the day he got his official start in business every year.
- He retired at age 56 and spent the next 40 years giving towards charitable endeavors. Some of the most notable including the founding of the University of Chicago, Rockefeller University, and a University in Philippines.
- Before his death, he gave away nearly half of his fortune to medical foundations, Churches, universities, and centers for arts.
- John D. Rockefeller always sought the advice of his wife, Laura Spelman. Of her, he once said: “Her judgment was always better than mine. Without her keen advice, I would be a poor man.”
Twenty-Five Inspiring John D. Rockefeller quotes
Here, we have specially curated twenty-five inspiring quotes by John D. Rockefeller. We believe there is a lot we all can learn from the wealthiest man in modern history. We hope you find them truly inspiring.
- If you want to succeed you should strike out on new paths, rather than travel the worn paths of accepted success.
- I do not think that there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature.
- Singleness of purpose is one of the chief essentials for success in life, no matter what may be one’s aim.
- I know of nothing more despicable and pathetic than a man who devotes all the hours of the waking day to the making of money for money’s sake.
- The person who starts out simply with the idea of getting rich won’t succeed; you must have a larger ambition. There is no mystery in business success. If you do each day’s task successfully and stay faithfully within these natural operations of commercial laws which I talk so much about, and keep your head clear, you will come out all right.
- Every right implies a responsibility, Every opportunity, an obligation, Every possession, a duty.
- Do not many of us who fail to achieve big things … fail because we lack concentration — the art of concentrating the mind on the thing to be done at the proper time and to the exclusion of everything else?
- I believe that love is the greatest thing in the world; that it alone can and will triumph over might.
- I believe in the sacredness of a promise, that a man’s word should be as good as his bond; that character not wealth or power or position is of supreme worth.
- The road to happiness lies in two simple principles; find what it is that interests you and that you can do well, and when you find it put your whole soul into it; every bit of energy and ambition and natural ability you have.
- The poorest man I know is the man who has nothing but money.
- I would rather hire a man with enthusiasm, than a man who knows everything.
- I believe that it is my duty to make money and use it for the benefit of my neighbors. This is what my conscience tells me.
- The only thing which is of lasting benefit to a man is that which he does for himself. Money which comes to him without effort on his part is seldom a benefit and often a curse.
- It is one thing to stand on the comfortable ground of placid inaction and put forth words of cynical wisdom, and another to plunge into the work itself and through strenuous experience earn the right to express strong conclusions.
- Good leadership consists of showing average people how to do work of superior people.
- I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living, but that it owes every man an opportunity to make a living.
- Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you’ll be able to see farther.
- I believe that the power to make money is a gift from God.
- The ability to deal with people is as purchasable a commodity as sugar or coffee and I will pay more for that ability than for any other under the sun.
- A friendship founded on business is better than a business founded on friendship.
- A man of words and not of deeds is like a garden full of weeds.
- Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it.
- I would rather earn 1% off a 100 people’s efforts than 100% of my own efforts.
- A man’s wealth must be determined by the relation of his desires and expenditures to his income. If he feels rich on ten dollars, and has everything else he desires, he really is rich.
These are some deep thoughts and inspiring words uttered by John D. Rockefeller. So many of them are inspiring. We particularly loved the first quote about succeeding by striking out new paths. We also found the tenth quote about finding what you like and putting your soul into it deeply inspiring. Which other John D. Rockefeller quotes on our list did you find inspiring? Feel free to share them with us in the comments section at the end of this post. We would love to hear from you, our dear readers.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote for today is by Claire Cook, the American Writer. She says:
If plan “A” fails, remember there are 25 more letters.
What do you think about this? How many alphabets have you gone through on a project before seeing it succeed? Leave us a comment with your thoughts, or just leave a message saying hello. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great weekend ahead, stay safe and we will see you again next week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.