Letting go of the past can be the key to moving forward and achieving greater success in life. Interestingly, it doesn’t matter whether we are holding on to past successes or failures. The effects of not holding on to the past generally incapacitate our progress and restrict our creativity. However, when we let go of the past, we unburden and open ourselves up to new possibilities. In this post, we will take a look at why holding on to the past can be bad. We will also share some inspiring posts on letting go and four simple steps to take to move forward.
André Paul Gide was a famous author and winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1947. He is noted to have coined this quote on moving forward:
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.
We find his quote to be so true. More often than not, people tend to stay within their safety zones. They would rather stick with things they know than risk the unknown and unfamiliar. However, as André Gide rightly points out, we cannot achieve new success until we let go of the past.
Before we proceed, check out these related posts. We believe you might find equally inspiring:
- Twenty-one Inspiring Quotes by Martin Luther King Jr.
- How to deal with Fear and achieve Success this Year
- Seven Essential Personal Qualities for a Successful Year ahead
- Five Things to Remember when going through Tough Times
- Five Reasons Why People Lose Motivation and How to Fix it
- How to Deal With and Overcome Failure
- Twenty Five Memorable Kobe Bryant Quotes to Inspire You
Also, if you are yet to subscribe to our electronic mailing list, we encourage you to do so today. Simply enter your name and email below to subscribe.
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Why Holding onto the Past could be Bad
Like we said earlier, looking back occasionally at things you’ve done is not necessarily a bad thing. However, if your mentality about life is that your best days are behind you, that could be dangerous. Additionally, and regardless of who you are, if you believe there is nothing more to accomplish, that’s wrong too.
As long as you are alive, you can strive for better, greater things, regardless of if you’re 26 or 66.
Letting go of the past helps you live in the moment, where there are opportunities and endless possibilities.
Next, we will share five simple steps to take to let go of the past.
Four Steps to take to Let go of the Past
How do you know if you’re holding on to the past? If you relish past achievements and have not achieved any successes recently, you may be holding on to your past. On the other hand, if you’re holding on to past failures, you may also be holding on to the past. Regardless of what is holding you back, here are some simple steps to take to move forward:
- Forgive: In some cases, letting go of the past starts with forgiving yourself or those who wronged you. This decisive act begins a healing process that ultimately sets you free to move on. Realize that your mistakes or the mistakes of others do not have to define you. You can make a choice to let it go and move on.
- Decide it’s Time to move on: In some other cases, you may not have a problem with forgiveness. In fact, it’s possible that you have been enormously successful in the past and that has held you back. In such a case, decide that it is time to move on; from you success or failure. While you may not know what else you can achieve, believe that there is more that can be done.
- Live in the present: Once you’ve made these decisions, begin to live in the present. Refocus on your passions, dreams and goals and begin to actively pursue them. Set measurable, time based goals and align yourself towards achieving them.
- Talk to Someone: Sometimes, talking to someone about your past, dreams and goals can be helpful. Once you’ve made the decision to move forward, share your dreams with your friends and family. Besides giving you the courage to move forward, it will also commit you to pursuing your goals.
Five Inspiring Quotes on Letting go of the Past and moving forward
In this section, we have put together some inspiring quotes on letting go of the past. We hope they inspire you to move forward this year.
- The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward. – Steve Maraboli
- We can’t be afraid of change. You may feel very secure in the pond that you are in, but if you never venture out of it, you will never know that there is such a thing as an ocean, a sea. Holding onto something that is good for you now, may be the very reason why you don’t have something better. – C. JoyBell C.
- Let go of certainty. The opposite isn’t uncertainty. It’s openness, curiosity and a willingness to embrace paradox, rather than choose up sides. The ultimate challenge is to accept ourselves exactly as we are, but never stop trying to learn and grow. – Tony Schwartz
- Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for. – Mandy Hale
- When we think we have been hurt by someone in the past, we build up defenses to protect ourselves from being hurt in the future. So, the fearful past causes a fearful future and the past and future become one. We cannot love when we feel fear… When we release the fearful past and forgive everyone, we will experience total love and oneness with all. – Gerald G. Jampolsky
Are you living in the past? What things about your past do you need to let go of? Also, which of these quotes inspired you the most? Feel free to share your thoughts and comments below. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote for today is by Doug Larson, the Editor and Columnist. He said:
Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.
Do you agree? We do. Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Remember to let go of the past so you can move forward this year. Have a great week and we will see you later this week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.