For almost everyone, 2020 has been one heck of a year! To one degree or another, the events of this year will leave lasting impressions on us all. Usually, at the end of the year, we are mostly filled with bitter-sweet, mixed feelings. For example, we reminisce over things we have accomplished, and those things we wish we had accomplished. We look back at the new year resolutions we made and wonder when exactly we gave up on them. In addition to these mixed feelings though, most of us can’t wait to sigh a final goodbye to the year. In-between the COVID-19 pandemic, the uncertainty of working from home, racial and election tensions, a lot of us feel overwhelmed. 2021 will mark the beginning of a new chapter of restoration, recovery, and progress. However, before the new year arrives, what lessons can we gleam from 2020? Today, we discuss five useful tips to end the year right. We will also discuss questions you may want to ask as the year ends and some inspiring quotes on endings. While the year is certainly ending, it is not over yet and there is still much that can be achieved.
In the context of this post, ending the year right means gleaming valuable lessons from our experiences throughout the year. So, for example, ask yourself, “What lessons have I learnt this year that I can apply to succeed next year”. While one may have had difficult experiences this year, they can be learnt from and applied towards success later.
Here are some related posts from Innovate Today, our blog that you might find equally useful:
- Twenty Inspiring Quotes about Time
- Five Things to Remember when going through Tough Times
- Five Tips to Start the New Year Right
- Five Ways to Prepare your Business for Success in the New Year
- How to keep Hope alive during Tough Times
Also, we encourage you to subscribe today to our Innovate Today mailing list. If you’ve enjoyed this post, do consider subscribing. Your free subscription allows us to send inspiring posts like this to you via email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In the next section, we will discuss useful questions to ask as the end of the year approaches.
Useful Questions to ask at the End of the Year
At the end of the year, its always a good idea to ask yourself certain thought-provoking questions. In general, the purpose if the questions should be to help review performance throughout the year. For example, you could consider your actual accomplishments against your goals for the year. As you can imagine, the end of the year is the best time to carry out such personal evaluations. Additionally, this could focus on your academic, career, family life or whatever other areas you wish to review.
Here are some of the questions you could ask yourself:
- In what ways have I used by skills and resources to help others?
- Which of my goals for the year have I achieved?
- Why was I unable to achieve my other goals for the year?
- Have I done my best in my academics, career, and family this year?
- What steps could I have taken differently for better success this year?
- What do I need to change to be where I want to be?
- Am I happy?
While these questions may be wide ranging, they can be narrowed down to review specific areas of your life.
In the next section, we will share five inspiring quotes on endings.
Five Inspiring Quotes on Endings
Endings are not necessarily mean the termination of a thing. Often, they also signal the beginning of new things. Here are five quotes on ending things that we hope will help you see the power of ending well:
- There’s a trick to the “graceful exit”. It begins with the vision to recognize when a job, a life stage, or a relationship is over – and let it go. It means leaving what’s over, without denying its validity or its past importance to our lives. Also, it involves a sense of future, a belief that every exit line is an entry, that we are moving up, rather than out. – Ellen Goodman
- It is always important to know when something has reached its end. Closing circles, shutting doors, finishing chapters, it doesn’t matter what we call it; what matters is to leave in the past those moments in life that are over. – Paulo Coelho
- Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don’t really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren’t really an ending; some things are never-ending. – C. JoyBell C.
- The end of a melody is not its goal: but nonetheless, had the melody not reached its end it would not have reached its goal either. A parable.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- We lose the precious sense that an end is only a beginning in disguise. – Craig D. Lounsbrough
In the next section of this post, we will share five useful tips to end the year 2020 right.
Five Useful Tips to End the Year Right
- Take Time to Reflect: Like we said earlier, the end of the year is the perfect time to look back and review. Taking the time to reflect on goals and strategies used can help identify new strategies that might work better. The key to reflecting effectively is to be objective and not unnecessarily hard on yourself for failures. Additionally, you could also ask your boss and colleagues for their candid feedback to help you do better.
- Highlight your Successes and Failures: While reflecting, you will come across your successes and failures during the year. However, be careful to identify both successes and shortcomings. The idea here is that such a balance will help identify your strengths and areas that need improvement.
- Forgive Yourself for your Failures: Our failures do not necessarily have to put us down. We all make mistakes at some point in life. Instead, they should be used as steppingstones to better comebacks.
- Plan Ahead and Prepare for the New Year: With the lessons you’ve gleamed from your reflections, begin to plan ahead and prepare for the new year. You could begin by making a list of things to do in the new year to start off effectively. This way, you enter the new year refreshed and ready to put your plans into action.
- Relax and Enjoy Yourself: When it’s all been said and done, be sure to also take time out to relax and enjoy yourself. The end of year holidays are an excellent time to travel or spend time with family without interruptions.
In what other ways do you prepare yourself for the end of the year? Do you have other tips you follow to end the year right that? Feel free to leave us your thoughts and comments at the end of this post. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote today is by Sir Winston Churchill, UK Statesman and Prime Minister of Britain during World War II. He said:
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Do you agree? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great week ahead and we will see you again later this week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.