Do you ever wonder what your life’s legacy will be after you are gone? How will people remember you and your life’s work? When you’re at the end of the road, will you be able to look back at your life with no regrets? These questions, uncomfortable as they may be, are worth taking the time to think about. This is particularly necessary because a life without regrets is never an unintentional one. To put it in other words, decisive steps must be taken if one hopes to live a life without regrets. So, in this post, we will discuss the topic of how to live life with no regrets. In addition, we will share interesting thoughts on how not to live life and top five regrets of dying people. We hope this post will inspire you to take advantage of life’s opportunities as they come. When you’re done, you’ll also have a clear understanding of how to establish your legacy and avoid life’s pitfalls.
Have you ever wished you could turn back the hands of time? Perhaps correct a few mistakes you made a day, a week, month or year ago? As the famous Humorist and Poet, Richard Armour put it, “most people’s hindsight is 20-20”. By this, he meant people tend to see things clearly when looking back in retrospect. Of course, sometimes, such lessons learnt in retrospect can only be applied to future endeavors. Nevertheless, the truth is that everyone makes mistakes. The goal here, we believe is to identify life’s major pitfalls and at least avoid them.
Before we go on to look at how not to live life, here are some related posts for further reading:
- How to Stay Positive and Think like an Optimist
- Ten Things to be Grateful for in 2020
- Five Things to do when You want to Give Up
- Seven Tips on How to Work Smarter, not Harder
- How to deal with Disappointment
- Seven Bad Habits of Unsuccessful People to Avoid
Also, please feel free to subscribe to our Innovate Today electronic mailing list. It is a free subscription that allows us to send you inspiring posts like this by email. Simply enter your name and email in the subscribe section below to sign up:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
How not to Live your Life
From our discussion so far, logically, we can safely assume that there are ways to not live life if one wants a life with no regrets. For example, if one lifestyle lead to a life of regret, then another lifestyle could lead to one without it.
The list we’ve prepared below gives a highlight of certain things that could lead to regret later in life. Here they are:
- Taking life for granted by not seizing opportunities as they come
- Being Pessimistic about Life in general
- Not letting go of past mistakes
- Going through life on Autopilot
- Paying too much attention to what people think or say
- Not appreciating the seemingly little things in life
- Not spending quality, memory building time with family members.
These are things to avoid as you go through life to ensure you don’t end it with major regrets.
Top Five Regrets of Dying People
Death is never a pleasant subject to discuss. That being said, we can learn from others who have gone through it. In this section, we list five of the most common regrets dying people have expressed. The intent here is to point out things to avoid or take advantage of while you can:
- They wish they did not let go of certain opportunities that came their way.
- They wish they did not worry so much and were bolder in their pursuits.
- Some wish they cared less about what others though and said about them.
- They wish they had kept and built lasting relationships with friends and family.
- They also wish they had lived in the now.
If so many dying people have had such similar regrets, they may be worth considering and avoiding.
How to Live Life with No Regrets
Here are some practical thoughts on how to live life with no regrets:
- Be Yourself: Being yourself means accepting and loving who you are. It involves recognize your strengths and weaknesses and find ways to balance them to your advantage. We live in a day and age when so many have a self-image crisis and are easily swayed by trends. Know yourself and be yourself or as the great Philosopher, Socrates said, “to know thyself is the beginning of wisdom”.
- Set Goals: Simple as it may seem, this has proven to be a pitfall for many. The act of setting goals for schoolwork, career, family, etc., is crucial to how we define success. A goal gives you a target, something to reach for. Without goals, our gifts and potentials may never be harnessed usefully. On the other hand, with goals, we can measure our progress in life and level of success.
- Value your Time and Energy: As the popular saying goes, time is money. Not only is this true, it is a concept that should be used in our everyday lives. We must understand that to waste time is to waste money and to gain money is to use time resourcefully.
- Do Not dwell on Past Mistakes: Like we said earlier, everyone makes mistakes. The best way to handle them is to learn from them and move on. Sulking and excessive regret over past failures will only causes delays to future success. Instead, to live a life without regrets, we must learn and move on.
- Learn from Others: Learning from others requires a degree of humility. As George Santayana, the Philosopher rightly noted, “those who cannot remember the past a condemned to repeat it”. If we will make the effort to humbly learn from the mistakes of others, we can avoid repeating them.
- Be Optimistic: Optimism is a vision booster. Its particularly useful in life because it reveals opportunity where others see obstacles. Optimists have the capacity to bounce back up when they fall, which is particularly useful in life.
- Keep Family and Friends close: What perhaps counts most at the end are the people, family, and friends whose lives we have positively influenced. Lasting legacies are not built in stone and gravel but in the number of lives we have touched. What is your disposition towards people? How have you influenced them through your life and conduct? We must ask ourselves these critical questions while we have the chance, or they could turn into regrets later.
Are you living your life with the future in mind? What are you doing to ensure you live life without regrets? Are there other ways you live your life, so you don’t end up with regrets? We would love to know your thoughts on the subject. Feel free to leave us comments at the end of this post.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote today is by Cathy Guisewite, the American Cartoonist
When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye.
Do you agree? Let us know what you think by dropping us a message in the comment section. We would love to hear from you.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great week and we will see you again later this week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.