Have you ever felt like giving up before? That feeling of tiredness, of being fed up and not wanting to continue with what you’re doing? If you have, we would like you to know that you are not alone. The truth is everyone goes through challenges in life and sometimes, it can be hard to see the path ahead. Regardless of why you want to give up, we would like to encourage you to stop and review first. We believe this is necessary so you can sort through the challenge and decide on the best course of action. While we could easily say don’t give up, it’s not always the best answer. For example, for someone in an unhealthy, abusive relationship, the best thing to do is leave. On the other hand, if you’re going through tough times financially, giving up is not the best thing to do. So, in this post, we will share five things to do when you want to give up. We will also discuss reasons why you should not give up and questions to ask when you want to give up. At the end of this post, we believe you will be better equipped to decide what to do when you want to give up.
There are several situations in life that could make a person feel like giving up. These include pain, sorrow, a lack of finances, business or family difficulties and other such hardships. For example, in many parts of the world, the COVID-19 pandemic has affected living standards for many. In fact, because of the lockdown, most businesses have had to close, cut their staff, or reduce their work hours. For some, these are challenging times when thoughts of giving up are not so far from the mind.
Before we proceed, we would like to share some related posts that might inspire you:
- How to deal with Disappointment
- Seven Bad Habits of Unsuccessful People to Avoid
- Five Thoughtful Ways to Help People in Need while on Lockdown
- Seven Tips on How to Lead during a Crisis
- Seven Things to Do if you Lose your Job
- Fifteen Words of Encouragement for Hard Times
- How to Start Over after Failure
- Seven Positive Ways to Start Your Day Right
Also, if you are yet to subscribe to our Innovate Today electronic mailing list, please do so today. Your free subscription allows us to send you inspiring posts like this by email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email in the subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Reasons why You should not Give Up
Sometimes, feelings of hopelessness and defeat could be so overwhelming that it would seem like there are no other options. Regardless of such feelings, there is always an alternative. In such situations, its always best to take a step back and think, before making life altering decisions. Here are four reasons why you should not give up:
- If you are persistent, things will change for the better
- It is always darkest before dawn, so if you hold on, the day will dawn, and things will get better
- There is always tomorrow. This means that if things don’t go the way you want today, you can always start over.
- Your past failures do not determine your future.
The underlying reason why you should not give up is hope. As long as there is someone that believes, there is always hope.
Questions to ask when You want to Give Up
Like we said earlier, life decisions should not be made without careful thinking. The same goes for making the decision to quit or go on. We suggest that issues should be considered carefully and through the use of logic. The truth is that feelings are not dependable. This is because they are based on emotions that change from time to time.
When you want to give up, ask yourself the following questions to logically analyze the issues:
- What were the reasons why you first started what you want to give up?
- Is your focus on moving forward or are you trying to hold on to the past?
- When it comes to this issue, what specific things are you spending your time on?
- Do you feel like you’ve exhausted all your options?
- Do you need to talk to someone to ask for advice?
Asking yourself these questions when you want to give up can help clarify things and get you going again.
Five Things to do when You want to Give Up
Here are five things you should do when you want to give up:
- Remember why you first started: Sometimes, to find the strength you need to continue, you may have to go back to the beginning. Think back to when you first started what you want to give up. What were your goals and desires? What did you want to accomplish? Why did you start in the first place? Have those goals been achieved? If they have, then perhaps your project has run its course and it’s time to move on. On the other hand, if they have not, giving up will make you regret your decision down the road.
- Picture the Ultimate Goal in your Mind: Sometimes, all you need to get rid of feelings of giving up is a visualization of your goal. What is the end result of the project you have started? What benefits will it bring to your life, family, friends, or business? By constantly visualizing the end result of what you want to accomplish you can muster the strength to finish.
- Get Support from Others: When you feel like giving up, it is important to seek help from your support system. Your support system should consist of friends, family, and mentors whose counsel you trust. Their counsel could shed light on what you’re going through and how to get through it.
- Be Grateful for your Successes while Struggling: In other words, count your blessings. Even in difficult times, you should be able to point at successes if you look hard enough. Take some time out to list all you’ve been able to achieve so far. Doing this will help you stay positive and optimistic and reignite your hope in what’s yet to come.
- Celebrate your Victories, no matter how small: Like we said earlier, feelings change easily. Those feelings of defeat and wanting to give up can fade away if you focus on your victories. Placing emphasizing on the successes you’ve achieved, can help push feelings of discouragement away. In addition, it could help you focus on the other things you need to achieve.
How have you dealt with feelings of discouragement in your life? How were you able to overcome those feelings? Feel free to leave us your thoughts and comments at the end of this post. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
As is our custom, we end this post with a funny quote. Today, our funny quote is by Douglas Adams, the Author, Humorist and Screenwriter:
A learning experience is one of those things that says, “You know that thing you just did? Don’t do that.”
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great weekend and we will see you again next week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.