Knowing how to deal with disappointment is essential to living a successful life. As a matter of fact, that understanding is crucial in determining if we ultimately succeed or fail in life. Think about it for a minute. Many successful people today actually started life out in extremely difficult and unpleasant situations. Nevertheless, they found ways to deal with disappointment and move forward. Its sad to note that many others never become successful because they don’t know how to overcome disappointment. So much can be achieved if we could learn how to get up and dust ourselves off when we fail. So, in this post, we will share some useful ways to deal with disappointment. We hope this post inspires you to never give up and keep pursuing your dreams till they are achieved.
Into every life some rain must fall. This is a famous quote authored by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the American Poet and Educator. The quote’s simplicity is perhaps only matched by the deep truths it contains. One such simple truth is that things will not always go your way. Another such truth is that disappointments affect us all and will affect each of us at some point in life. Regardless of the type or scale of disappointment you may experience; from failure in school to relationship heartbreaks or worse, we all need to find proper ways to deal with them.
Before we proceed, here are some related posts we’ve written that you might also enjoy:
- How to Start Over after Failure
- Five Keys to Learning from Failure
- Ten Inspiring Quotes by Nick Vujicic
- Seven Things to Do if you Lose your Job
- How Taking Risks can make you more Successful this Year
- Seven Bad Habits of Unsuccessful People to Avoid
Also, if you are yet to subscribe to our Innovate Today electronic mailing list, please do so today. Your free subscription allows us to send you inspiring posts like this by email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email in the subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In the next section, we will take a brief look at three ways to encourage yourself when discouraged.
Three Simple Ways to Encourage Yourself
One of the first things that happen when disappointment comes is discouragement. To be discouraged means to be downcast. Another way to look at it is to be without courage (dis-couraged). So, obviously, to effectively deal with disappointment, one of the first things one must do is get encouragement. On that note, here are three simple ways to encourage yourself:
- Stay true to your Vision: By this, we mean refocus on your vision. Ask question such as these: What are my life goals? What did I want to accomplish when I set out on this task? Are there other ways I can accomplish my life goals? By staying true to your vision and revisiting your why, you’ll reinvigorate yourself to keep on pushing forward.
- Stop comparing Yourself to Others: During times of discouragement, do not compare yourself to others; not even if they do the same thing you do. Instead, compare the outcome of your efforts to what it should have been. Find out where you fell short and how you can make up for such shortcomings next time.
- Find someone You can Help: Sometimes, we just need to take a step back from focusing on ourselves to focusing and helping others for a change. It also helps boosts our morale when we realize that we are doing something good for someone else.
How to deal with Disappointment
As discussed earlier in this post, disappointments are a part of life. The simple reality is that things will not always go the way you planned. The result of such deviations is usually disappointments. That being said, if handled poorly, such disappointments could lead to even more failure.
On the other hand, if handled correctly, they could be the stepping stones needed to become outstandingly successful. Bad as they are, disappointments do not mean an end to the world. As a matter of fact, our disappointments and failures can give us a glimpse of success unlike most things can. Here are some useful tips on how to deal with disappointment:
- First, accept how You feel: Disappointments can be hurtful and demoralizing. While we do not suggest that you internalize them, accepting how you feel can help deal with it. This is as opposed to pretending all is fine or hiding behind a façade of strength. Acknowledging your disappointments and failures is the first step to dealing with it, learning from it, and moving on.
- Perform a Reality Check: Find out how much damage your disappointment has caused. Most often, the effects are not as much as the hurt of failure may make it seem. This assessment is also useful in helping determine how to move forward and how to avoid such failure.
- Talk it over with Someone you trust: Talking to someone you trust about your disappointments is immensely helpful. In addition to helping you come to terms with your emotions, it can be cathartic. In such cases, having someone as a sounding board or counselor can help shed light on mistakes made.
- Try and try again: After carefully analyzing your mistakes and learning from them, try again. Just because you failed or got disappointed doesn’t mean you should give up on your dreams. As a matter of fact, the whole point of learning to deal with disappointment is to understand how to succeed.
Today, we encourage you to learn from your mistakes, change your strategy and try again and again. Coupling this strategy with persistence will always produce success in the end.
How have you overcome disappointment in the past? Are there any specific steps you took to deal with it? Feel free to leave us your thoughts and comments at the end of this post. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote today is by the American Cartoonist, Charles Schulz
Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It’s already tomorrow in Australia.
Do you agree? How do you deal with worry? Leave us your thoughts and comments.
Did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd? We are a web design company that provide premium web design, website maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your web design project, contact us to submit a quote request.
Have a great week ahead and we will see you later in the week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.