Have you ever wondered what your purpose in life is? By this, we mean have you ever given the question of how to discover your purpose some consideration? Think about it for a minute. We were all created for a reason. So, what were you created to do? There is something you are meant to do that is completely unique to you. However, what happens if you do something else; something not related to your purpose? We believe this leads dissatisfaction and ultimately an unfulfilled life. In this post, we discuss the subject of purpose and how to discover your purpose. Finding your purpose is the ultimate solution to living an unfulfilled life.
Like the proverbial round peg in a square hole, many people live life doing things they weren’t meant to do. As a result, they live in constant frustration, dissatisfaction and boredom. This could quite easily be avoided if we would take the time to find our purpose. As you’ll come to see at the end of this post, discovering your purpose and pursuing it makes life meaningful.
Before we proceed, here are some related posts we believe you will find equally beneficial:
- The Power of Purpose and Direction
- How to Keep Yourself Motivated in Life
- Seven Secrets of Highly Successful People
- Five Things Passionate People Do
- Passion is the Genesis of Genius
- Helpful Career Tips for Recent Graduates
We would also like to encourage you to subscribe to our electronic mailing list. Your subscription will allow us to send you inspiring posts like this, via email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email in the subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In the next sections, we will briefly discuss what it means to discover your purpose and why you should. Then we will go on to itemize some easy steps you can follow to find your purpose.
What does Finding your Purpose mean?
The Oxford dictionary defines purpose as the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists. So, by extension, finding your purpose would mean understanding the reason for which you exist or why you were created.
It is almost impossible to separate the question of purpose from religion. After all, if we were created for a purpose, who is the creator? And how do we submit our purpose to his use? While we agree that the question of purpose raises religious and philosophical questions, we will not discuss them today.
Regardless of how we came to exist though, we are here for a reason. Our understanding and pursuit of that purpose is the key to living happier, healthier, and fulfilled lives. It is also the key to impacting our world and leaving a legacy that outlives us after we are gone.
Reasons why you should Find your Purpose
There is a famous quote by Dr. Myles Munroe, the Author and Evangelist that says
When purpose is not known, abuse is inevitable.
What this means is that if we do not understand the purpose of a thing, there is a high probability that it will be misused. Interestingly, this applies to tools, equipment, and even life itself. So here are a few reasons why you should discover your purpose:
- Discovering purpose gives a sense of meaning to life.
- It provides a clearer understanding of who you are.
- Finding purpose helps one understand the priorities of life. It helps clarify what is important, what is not and what things to focus our energy on.
How to Discover your Purpose
The process of discovering purpose is one of continuous discovery. Think of it as reading a really good book for the first time. When you start the book, you have an idea of what it’s about from the title. However, details of the book only become clear as you flip through page after page and chapter after chapter. Ultimately, you know more about the book by its end than at the beginning. We believe its the same process with discovering purpose.
On that note, here are five things you can do to discover your purpose:
- Understand that you have a Purpose: First, we must understand that like everyone else, you have a specific, special purpose. Contrary to what you may have been told or believe, you are not useless. Rather, you have special tools built into you that can change your world for good. This understanding should be a motivation to further understanding what those skills are and how you should use them.
- Follow your Inner Voice: We all have an inner voice. Some call this the voice of reason or conscience. By following your inner voice, you can better understand who you are, your passions, hopes and dreams.
- Identify your Passion and Talents: In the context of this post, by passion we mean enthusiasm for something. Ask yourself, what things stir up your enthusiasm? It could be fashion, computers, construction or even machines. Next, find out what your talents are. By definition, a Talent is a natural aptitude or skill you did not have to train for. These are the special tools built into every one of us that we mentioned earlier. By understanding what talents you have and how they can be used with your passion, you can discover your purpose.
- Set Goals in line with your Passion: Once you have identified some of your talents and passions, set your goals in line with them. For example, if you have a natural aptitude for math, science, and engineering, consider studying an Engineering course in College. Basically, move in the direction of your passion and talents.
- Take action Everyday: Like we said earlier, discovering purpose is like reading a book. In time, you will understand more about your passion and talents. However, as time goes by, make use of what you understand daily. For example, if you are creative, consider learning how to create graphics and animations. As you do that, you will understand even more about your passions and skills.
Understanding your passions and talents is an excellent pointer to what your purpose is. By gravitating towards things you are naturally enthused and skilled in, you can discover your purpose.
To conclude, have you discovered your purpose? Take a minute to think about what things you are passionate about. What talents and natural aptitudes do you have? These could be pointers to what your purpose is. Also, have you already discovered your purpose? How did you find it? Feel free to leave us a comment at the end of this post. We would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote today is by Anthony Burgess, the English Writer and Composer
Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.
Did you know that our Innovate Today blog is brought to you by Innovate Design Studios Ltd, a web design and graphics company? We provide graphics, branding, web design and website maintenance services. If you’re interested in these services, contact us today to get a free quote and 10% off your next project.
Have a great week ahead, stay safe and we’ll see you again later this week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.