Have you ever wondered what steps you would need to take to start a freelance business? Not a full-time business, but something you could do along with your actual job? Recently, many people have had to grapple with uncertain finances, especially with many businesses laying off their staff. In other cases, companies have had to cut staff salaries due to reduced work hours. At times like this, starting a freelance business could be a secondary source of steady income that could help. So, in this post, we will delve into the world of freelancing. We will consider subtopics such as why you should start a freelance business and great freelance business ideas. Finally, we will conclude with seven steps to starting a freelance business. By the end of this post, we expect that you will be armed with enough information to start your own freelance business.
There is a common financial theory that the best way to be financially stable is to have multiple sources of income. We believe this theory to be true. Like the proverbial putting all your eggs in one basket, the more baskets you have, the safer you are financially. We believe this is one excellent reason to consider starting a freelance business.
Here are some links to other related posts we’ve written that we believe you might find equally helpful:
- How to get through Tough Times in Business
- Seven Useful Tips on How to Grow your Business Online
- Best Ten Small Business Ideas for Women
- Ten Profitable Business Ideas with Low Investment to try
- Best Ten Small Business Ideas for Men anywhere
- Eight Rules to building a Successful Business
- Capacity Building Techniques for Small Business Owners
Also, we invite you to subscribe to our Innovate Today mailing list. Once subscribed, we will be able to send you new posts like this one directly by email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email in the subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In the next section, we will take a look at some reasons why you should start a freelance business.
Why start a Freelance Business?
Before answering the question of why, lets answer the question of what freelancing is. Simply defined, a freelancer is a self-employed person who offers professional services to multiple clients. In other words, a freelancer works independent of an employer and performs his job on his own terms. As you might imagine, this provides a lot of flexibility that allows for other things like a full-time job. Here are some other benefits to starting a freelance business:
- It creates a secondary source of steady income.
- A freelance business could help one gain independence from a regular job.
- It provides flexibility that allows work with multiple clients.
- It also allows you to pursue your passion, regardless of your professional qualifications.
- Freelancing provides the opportunity to test out business ideas before fully committing to them by starting a business.
In the next section, we will present you with some great freelance business ideas.
Great Freelance Business Ideas
One of the primary benefits of starting a freelance business is the flexibility it provides. As a freelancer, you can provide services in practically any area, provided there is a need for it. For example, as a web developer, you could also provide freelancing services in web development. However, if you wish, you could also freelance in a field completely different from your professional skill set. For example, as a web developer, you could freelance as a photographer, or event planner or caterer. The possibilities are endless.
Here is a list of popular freelance business ideas you may wish to consider:
- Web design
- Graphics design
- Photo Editing
- 2D and 3D Animation
- Copywriting and Proofreading
- Translation Services
- Freelance Marketing
- Data Entry
While the bulk of these suggested ideas are in IT, in practice, you can do anything. The general rule of thumb is to ensure that there is a need and that you have the skills to meet those needs.
Seven Steps to Starting a Freelance Business
While anyone can start a freelance business, to be successful at it, these necessary steps need to be taken. Here are seven steps to consider while starting a freelance business:
- Find your Niche: The first step to becoming a freelancer is to identify and define your niche. A niche defines the range of services you provide. Defining your niche is important because it sets the tone for other aspects of your business. For example, your niche will define your goals, target clients and even pricing. Your niche will also determine if your freelance business can grow into a full-fledged business down the road.
- Define your Goals: After defining your niche, clearly define your freelance goals. These goals should be specific, measurable, realistic and time based, so you know if progress is being made or not. For example, you can set a goal to provide your service to 5 customers every month.
- Identify your Target Clients: Once you’ve been able to define your goals, research should be made into identifying potential clients. By figuring out who your ideal client is, you can target them through your marketing campaigns.
- Set your Pricing range: After defining the services you provide and identifying your ideal customer, it’s always a good idea to set your prices. These prices should be based on specific services rendered and should be competitive.
- Build and maintain an Online Presence: In today’s world, regardless of your business, the necessity of an online presence cannot be over emphasized. This is because it is most often your first point of contact with potential clients. The first step to kicking things off with your freelance business is to build and maintain your online presence.
- Maintain Relationships and build a Reputation: No business can survive without relationships. As you begin to provide freelancing services, take time to maintain client relationships and build a professional reputation. One excellent way to do this is through customer service.
- Stay Persistent: Understand that it will take time to build a solid business reputation. While you build your freelance business, remain focused on your goals. Also learn from mistakes you make along the way and customer feedback.
Do you plan on starting a freelance business? What are your goals and dreams? Or do you have specific questions on how to start your freelance business? Feel free to post your questions and comments at the end of this post. We would love to hear from you and answer your questions.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote today is by Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh and husband of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife.
Do you agree? We would love to hear your thoughts on this. Leave us a comment below.
Did you know that our Innovate Today blog is brought to you by Innovate Design Studios Ltd, a web design and graphics company? We provide graphics, branding, web design and website maintenance services. If you’re interested in these services, contact us today to get a free quote and 10% off your next project.
Have a great week ahead, stay safe and we’ll see you again later this week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.