In this post, we share some inspiring quotes by Nelson Mandela. As you probably know, Nelson Mandela became President of South Africa after spending 27 years in prison. This unjust imprisonment was imposed because he fought against apartheid and institutional racism in South Africa. Nelson Mandela is an inspirational figure for several reasons, including his lifetime activism against apartheid and his message of reconciliation. In these difficult times, Nelson Mandela shines as an example of true and selfless leadership. We hope these specially curated quotes by this great man inspire you towards selfless leadership, perseverance, and hope.
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was born on July 18th, 1918 in a small village in South Africa. He lost his father at a tender age and was raised by Jongintaba, the regent of the Tembu. Nelson was the first in his family to receive a formal education. This helped him understand the injustice of apartheid and the equal rights of all people, regardless of race or background.
Before we proceed to discuss at other aspects of his life, here are other related posts you might find useful:
- Fifteen Inspiring Quotes by Michelle Obama
- Ten Encouraging Quotes about Hope in Difficult Times
- Seven reasons why Mentors are Important
- Fifteen Inspiring Denzel Washington Quotes on Success
- Twenty Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes to Inspire you to Greatness
Also, as we like to remind, if you’ve found this post inspiring, subscribe to our electronic mailing list. Your subscription allows us to send posts like this directly to your email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email in the subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In the next section, we will briefly discuss Nelson Mandela’s life work after prison.
Nelson Mandela’s Life’s Work after Prison
Despite spending 27 years in prison, Nelson Mandela was not bitter or judgmental after his release from prison. Instead, he continued to focus on dismantling the system of apartheid in South Africa and promoting reconciliation. We believe this is why Nelson Mandela is such an inspiration today; he promoted justice, reconciliation and peace and not revenge.
Here are some major accomplishments Nelson Mandela was able to achieve after his release from prison:
- In 1994, he ended apartheid by becoming the Country’s first black President.
- After becoming President, he established the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. The Commission purpose was to investigate human rights and political violations committed by both supporters and opponents of apartheid between 1960 and 1994.
- As President, he introduced numerous social and economic programs aimed at improving the living standards of black South Africans.
- In 1996 Mandela presided over the enactment of a new South African constitution. The new constitution established a strong central government based on majority rule and prohibited discrimination against minorities, including whites.
- To improve race relations, he formed a multiracial Government of National Unity. He also proclaimed the country to be a “rainbow nation at peace with itself and the world.
Its interesting to also note that Nelson Mandela was President of South Africa for only one Presidential term. It is said that he refused to run for a second term. This act of selflessness was inspiring because he did it in the interest of South Africa.
In the next section, we will present our specially curated quotes by Nelson Mandela.
Ten Inspiring Quotes by Nelson Mandela
Here are ten inspiring quotes by Nelson Mandela that will inspire you to greatness:
- I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
- Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.
- What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived; it is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.
- Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.
- Action without vision is only passing time, vision without action is merely daydreaming, but vision with action can change the world.
- Overcoming poverty is not a task of charity, it is an act of justice. Like slavery and apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings. Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great. YOU can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom.
- As I have said, the first thing is to be honest with yourself. You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself… Great peacemakers are all people of integrity, of honesty, but humility.
- For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.
- A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate tongue or pen, then you have something very special.
- I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not ended.
Which of these inspiring quotes by Nelson Mandela did you find most motivational? We particularly love quotes five and ten on the list. Feel free to share your thought and comments at the end of this post. We would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote for today is by Ludwig Wittgenstein, the Austrian-British Philosopher
If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
Do you agree? Let us know what you think. Leave us a comment or share your thoughts.
Did you know that our Innovate Today blog is brought to you by Innovate Design Studios Ltd, a web design and graphics company? We provide graphics, branding, web design and website maintenance services. If you’re interested in these services, contact us today to get a free quote and 10% off your next project.
Have a great week, stay safe and we will see you later this week with more inspiring posts.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.