In this post, we discuss the issue of how to change careers successfully. There are several reasons why one may consider changing careers. Interestingly, these reasons range from lack of financial stability to a desire for career satisfaction and fulfillment. Regardless of what reasons one may have, to make a successful career change, careful thought and planning must be employed. So, in this post, we will explore several aspects of the career change process, including how to determine if you need a career change, common career change mistakes and five steps to a successful career change. We believe that at the end of this post, you will be adequately informed about how to change careers.
Changing careers is a big decision. Aside from the decision on which career to switch to, other important factors need to be considered. These include education and proficiency in the new career, cost for training, time needed to prepare, etc.
Before we take a closer look at these issues, here is a list of additional links you might find useful:
- Helpful Career Tips for Recent Graduates
- How to Build an Online Presence for your Company
- How to Prepare for a Virtual Interview
- Five Job Skills needed to Succeed in a Post-Coronavirus World
- Ten Best Work from Home Jobs for 2020
Also, we invite you to subscribe to our Innovate Today electronic mailing list. Your subscription allows us to send you notifications on new posts and other inspirational materials. To subscribe, simply enter you name and email in the subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In the next section, we will discuss how to determine if you need a career change.
How to Determine if You need a Career Change
Making a successful career change can be an overwhelming process, especially if you’re not sure how to go about it. We suggest that you take time to review your dreams and goals, including what you’re most passionate about. By doing this, you can clearly determine what field of endeavor is best.
Here are some reasons you may wish to consider a career change:
- You work in an unusually stressful work environment.
- You would like a fresh start after a perceived failure.
- A chance to work in a field that allows you to make better use of your talents and creativity.
- Preference for a career that has better opportunities for advancement.
Its important to note that to make a successful career change, one must identify problems with one’s current career. Chances are that if problematic issues are not identified, you might end up facing them again in a new career.
In the next section, we will discuss common career change mistakes.
Common Career Change Mistakes People make
In a bid to change careers and get unto something more fulfilling, some people tend to make even more mistakes that eventually cost them dearly. Changing careers would be less problematic if these mistakes were avoided:
- Not being emotionally, financially, and professionally ready for the next step.
- Waiting too long or waiting until one is depressed before making the change.
- Giving up on one’s current career without first evaluating the pros and cons of a career change.
- Trying to figure things out without necessary help from those conversant with the new career.
Each of these mistakes are common issues that can cause problems down the road after a career change. So, the question is how do you make a career change successfully? In the next section, we discuss five steps to implementing a successful career change.
Five Steps to a Successful Career Change
In the last section, we reviewed common career change mistakes people make. In this section, we discuss five steps to making a successful career change.
- Decide on and prepare for your new Career: The first step in making a successful career change is to decide on your new career and why you’ve chosen it. Among other reasons, this will help ensure that you don’t run into the same issues in your new profession. Doing this will also help identify educational needs and credentials needed to work in your new profession.
- Work on your Skills and Talents: There is never a better time to work on your skills and talents than when changing careers. This is particularly important because depending on the change, your previous qualifications may not be useful. Another factor to consider is the cost for professional training’s and qualifying examinations. Consideration must also be given to the time it will take to become proficient in your new career.
- Consider possible Barriers: To make a successful career change, time must be given to identifying possible barriers to the change. These could include finances and the need to balance work, school and family life while changing careers. This step is particularly important because it identifies how much work and sacrifice will be needed. It also helps one decided if the change is worth the effort.
- Start Networking early: It’s never too early to start networking with professionals in your new career. Making a successful career change takes time and effort. So, it’s a good idea to build necessary contacts early. Besides the fact that they can help with job placement, they may be able to provide insights into the career. One excellent way to network is through social media platforms such as LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
- Find a Mentor: The final step to making a successful career change is to find a mentor. Such a mentor would be in your new career and would be willing to guide and assist you. In our post titled Seven reasons why Mentors are Important, we took a detailed look at the subject. We encourage you to also read through at that post.
We all have dreams and aspirations of what we would like to be as children. Regardless of those childhood dreams however, career change decisions should be made with careful consideration and planning.
What dreams did you have when you were a child? Compare them to what career you’re in right now. Would you consider changing careers to what you wanted to be as a child? Feel free to leave us a comment at the end of this post. We would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote today is by Clint Eastwood, the American Actor:
They say marriages are made in Heaven. But so is thunder and lightning.
Also, did you know that our Innovate Today blog is brought to you by Innovate Design Studios Ltd, a web design company? We provide graphics, branding, web design and website maintenance services. If you’re interested in these services, contact us today to get a free quote and 10% off your next project.
Have a great week ahead and we will see you again soon with another inspiring post.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.