Most of us are currently on lockdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic. As a result, we’ve had to find new ways to battle boredom. One excellent and beneficial way to do this while nurturing the mind is by reading great books. In this post, we discuss why reading great books is a good idea. We also present you with a list of actual great books to read on lockdown.
Let’s face it, being cut off from social activity can be worrisome. What’s more, it can lead to boredom, depression and other ills. This is why its important to stay happy, productive and keep the mind active. Our suggestion is that you find new ways to keep yourself active and your mind fertile. One way we suggest is by joining inspiring blogs like ours. When you subscribe, you become part of a group of people who receive inspiring, motivational and funny posts via email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Also, check out the links below for additional related posts:
- Ten Creative Things to Do When You Are Stuck at Home
- How to Encourage Yourself during Tough Times
- Five Healthy Ways to Deal with Anxiety
- Ten Habits of Highly Successful People
- Fifteen Quotes on Living without Limits
With that said, let’s consider at a few reasons why reading books during this lockdown is a good idea.
Why Reading Books During Lockdown is a Good Idea
Research has shown that when we read, not only do we improve our empathy and memory, we also learn to stay positive. In that regard, here are some additional benefits of reading:
- Reading strengthens your imagination and creative capacity
- It increases your ability to empathize
- It helps build your vocabulary
- Helps prevent age-related cognitive decline
- Reduces stress
- Helps alleviate symptoms of depression
In the next sections, we’ve outlined great books to read. For the sake of convenience, we’ve grouped them into these general categories:
- Nonfiction Books
- Fiction Books
- Best Selling Books
- Books by African Authors
While these categories are in no way exhaustive, we believe they’ll provide a launchpad from which you can expand your reading preferences.
Great Non-Fiction Books to Read on Lockdown
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
- Red Notice by Bill Browder
- A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
Great Fiction Books to Read on Lockdown
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Best Selling Books to Read on Lockdown
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Really Good Books by African Authors
- Black Sunday by Tola Rotimi Abraham
- Given by Nandi Taylor
- Riot Baby by Tochi Onyebuchi
- Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi
Regardless of what category or book you choose to start with, the idea is to choose a book you enjoy and read it to the end. Completing such a book will give you a sense of accomplishment and is a great conversation starter.
How have you been fighting boredom while on lockdown? What great books have you read recently? Feel free to leave us your comments and thoughts. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
As is our custom, we end today’s post with a funny quote. Today, our funny quote is by Charles Wadsworth, the Classical Pianist and Music Promoter
By the time a man realizes that his father was right, he has a son who thinks he’s wrong.
Before you go, did you know that Innovate Today is a part of Innovate Design Studios Ltd. We are a web design company that provide custom web design, maintenance and graphics services. If you’d like to know more about the service we provide, feel free to check out our Services page. On the other hand, if you’d like to get a free, no obligation quote for your next web design project, contact us to submit a Quote request.
Remember to stay active both in your body and in your mind. Stay safe and we will see you again later this week with another inspiring post.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.