Surprising as it may seem, the importance of mentors cannot be overemphasized. This is because they are necessary for the successful growth of individuals and organizations. Interestingly, this is also the primary reason why mentors are important; their wealth of experience. In every field of endeavor, there are some who by virtue of their significant professional experience have an incredible amount of knowledge to share with others in that field. When they are willing to share their knowledge and experience, these people are called mentors. In our post today, we take a look at the subject of mentorship, what it is, its benefits and seven reasons why mentors are important.
As a young graduate or entrepreneur, you may not know how best to pursue your career or run your business. However, with a mentor at your side, you can receive counsel and guidance on what steps to take to become successful. So in essence, mentors help protegees navigate the complex landscape of career growth so they can succeed.
Before we proceed to take a closer look at what mentorship is, here are other related posts we’ve written that you may find equally inspiring:
- How to Stay Focused in a World Full of Distractions
- Ten Habits of Highly Successful People
- Five Ways to Prepare your Business to Scale Up
- Ten Career Development Tips for a Successful Year
- Five Personal Development Activities to advance your Life
- Seven Secrets of Highly Successful People
Also, if you’ve not done so, we remind you to subscribe to our electronic mailing list. When you subscribe, you’ll receive notifications every time we publish a new post. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email in our subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
With that said, let’s take a closer look at why mentors are important.
What Is Mentorship?
According to Wikipedia, Mentorship is defined as a relationship in which a more experienced or more knowledgeable person helps to guide a less experienced or less knowledgeable person. Mentoring is a process that involves communication, support, guidance and role modeling. Also, mentoring could be on a short or long term basis but always involves one party pouring knowledge or skill into another person.
Benefits of Mentorship
Having a mentor is one of the most valuable and effective ways to succeed in one’s career, education or business. This is because a mentor can offer a protegee professional counsel that usually enhances productivity. Some of the benefits of mentorship include but are not limited to the following:
- Regular advice on how to develop career strengths and overcoming weaknesses;
- Exposure to fresh perspectives, new ideas and ways of thinking;
- Access to a support system during critical stages of one’s academic, career and business development;
- Opportunity for the Mentor to give back and share knowledge; and
- Access to important connections within one’s profession.
It’s also interesting to note that people without mentors are less likely to have access to such advice, ideas or connections.
In the next section, we discuss seven reasons why mentorship is so important.
Seven reasons why Mentorship is Important
Having understood the benefits of mentorship, let’s take a quick look at some reason why mentorship is important for personal and professional growth:
- Transfer of Important Skills and Knowledge: Since mentors are usually way ahead of their protegees in skills and knowledge, the relationship provides a wealth of knowledge which invariably leads to success.
- Objective Advice and Constructive Criticism: The Mentor-Protegee relationship allows for critical evaluation of projects, with valuable instruction on how to be better. In such a case, the mentor would give objective advice and constructive criticism for as long and often as they need to.
- They Stimulate Personal and Professional Growth: Another reason why mentors are important is because give their protegees the opportunity to grow without forcing them to become a copy of themselves. They find ways to encourage the interests of their protegees in whatever they have chosen to do, both personally and professionally.
- Mentors are usually Well Connected: Owing to their years of experience and wealth of knowledge, mentors usually have lots of connections. This can be helpful to the protegee for networking opportunities and career advancement.
- They help create necessary Work Boundaries: Helping to set boundaries is another reason why mentorship is important. This applies in cases where a protegees are just starting out and may not understand the work environment.
- Mentors offer Encouragement: We will all need encouragement and motivation at some point in our life and career. Mentors offer such encouragement and help one see the best in oneself even when the odds against one.
- Mentorship is mutually beneficial and personally rewarding: The Mentor-Protégée relationship is mutually beneficial as both parties end up contributing to each other’s growth.
Do you have a mentor? Your mentor could be your parent or senior colleague at work. How have they helped you grow and achieve success in life? If you don’t have a Mentor, think about someone in your area of expertise that you can ask to mentor you. Also, let us know how it goes. We would love to hear from you as always.
Today’s Funny Quote
As is our custom, we conclude this post with a funny quote. Our funny quote today is by Wendell Johnson, the American Psychologist and Actor,
Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
If you really enjoyed this post, kindly repost it on Twitter or share it with your friends on Facebook. It really only takes a few clicks. You can also follow us on Instagram. Our social media handle is @idscreate.
Have a great week ahead and remember to find a mentor that can help you attain success.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.