In light of the Corona Virus pandemic, several employers are now asking employees to work from home. This is a strategy meant to prevent the spread of the disease while still keeping businesses as active as possible. However, simple as it seems, working from home can be quite challenging if it’s not done the right way. This is because it is difficult to shift from home-mode to work-mode in the same familiar environment. Since most people now work from home because of the Covid-19 pandemic, it’s important to understand how to work from home the right way. So in this Innovate today post, we’ll take a look at common mistakes people make when working from home and seven tips on how to work from home the right way.
The Covid-19 virus has affected every continent on earth since it started to spread back in December 2019. According to worldometer.com, over 700,000 around the world have been infected and it has caused over 36,000 deaths. The good news though is that over 160,000 people who have been infected by the virus have recovered. Nevertheless, we would like to sound a word of caution to all our readers to stay home and prevent further spread of the virus. The World Health Organization also advises that we do the following to stay safe:
- Wash hands frequently;
- Maintain social distancing i.e. stay at least 3 feet away from others when in public;
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth;
- Practice respiratory hygiene by covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue;
- Seek medical care early if you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing.
We’ll continue to provide you with inspiring and motivational posts to encourage you as we fight to stop the Corona-virus. On that note, here are some related Innovate Today posts we believe you will find useful:
- Fifteen Words of Encouragement for Hard Times
- Five Healthy Ways to Deal with Anxiety
- Fifteen Inspiring Denzel Washington Quotes on Success
- Seven Useful Tips on How to Grow your Business Online
- Five ways to increase your Web Traffic
Also, If you’ve not subscribed to our mailing list yet, please do so using the subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Your subscription allows us to send you inspiring posts, funny quotes and other related materials via email.
Now, let’s take a look at some common mistakes people make when working from home.
Common mistakes made when working from Home
Here are three key mistakes to avoid when working from home:
- Not creating Structures and Boundaries: The first mistake people make when working from home is not creating structures and boundaries. Examples of this include having a clearly defined work area, a daily to-do list, taking scheduled breaks, etc. Without these, one could be left open to distractions and interruptions from all sorts of home activities. This of course greatly reduces ones productivity.
- Using the Couch or Bed as a Work Area: This is another common mistake. Using a bed or couch can make you overly relaxed, break your focus and prevent you from accomplishing your daily work goals.
- Procrastinating: It’s easy to procrastinate when you work from home. One primary reason is because there is no direct office supervision. This can lead to procrastination and delays. One way to fix this is to create a daily to do list of tasks to be completed. Along with working within your structures and boundaries, this can help reduce procrastination and prevent delays.
Tips on how to Work from Home the right way
Here are a few tips on how to work from home the right way, without making some of the mistakes we’ve highlighted:
- Have a separate, dedicated Work Space: The matter of having a separate work space cannot be overemphasized when working from home. Doing this helps one disconnect from the home setting and get into a work mode. This helps one concentrate and focus on tasks that need to be done. A good example of a dedicated work space would be your dining table.
- Create a daily To-Do List: By creating a daily to-do list, you can identify and prioritize tasks that need to be done for the day. This allows you to tackle urgent tasks early in the day when your energy levels are high.
- Establish your Routine: This is usually the hardest part of working from home. Establishing a routine includes deciding when to start your work day, setting times for breaks and a time to attend to social media, emails and coworkers.
- Work when you’re at your most Productive: It’s also important to know when you are at your most productive. For most people, this is in the mornings. Starting your work day in the morning allows you to attend to the most important things early on. It also allows you to leave less crucial activities for later in the day. While you may be tempted to sleep in and start work late, research has proven it’s not effective.
- Minimize your usage of Social Media: Working from home will require the use of the internet and social media platforms. However, if your time on such platforms is not properly managed, it can drastically reduce your productivity. Instead, try to keep your use of social media during work periods official.
- Take clearly defined Breaks: As they say, All work and no play makes Jack a grumpy young man. So, ensure you take clear breaks while you work. This allows you attend to other things that might need you attention without completely breaking your schedule.
- Have a Closing Time: Some people who work from home don’t set a closing time because they feel it helps establish a work-life balance. However, without a clear time frame for when work starts and ends, it may actually be difficult to balance things. Setting a time to end work related activities can help one stay focused during work hours and complete tasks.
Are you one of the millions of people who now work from home because of the Corona-virus pandemic? What have your experiences been working from home? How have you made it work? Feel free to share your experiences with us through our comments section at the end of this post.
Today’s Funny Post
Our funny quote for today is an interesting and funny quote by Bill Gates, the American Business Magnate and co-founder of Microsoft Corporation.
I choose a lazy person to do a hard job, because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.
Do you agree? Leave us a comment and share your thoughts and opinions.
Did you know that our Innovate Today blog is brought to you by Innovate Design Studios Ltd, a web design company? We provide graphics, branding, web design and website maintenance services. If you’re interested in these services, contact us today to get a free quote and 10% off your next project.
Have a great week ahead and we will see you again on soon with another inspiring post.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.