Anxiety has been a part of the human experience since man first existed. In fact, as an emotion, everyone experiences it at one point or the other. This is why everyone should learn how to manage anxiety. Not properly managed, it can interfere with one’s daily activities, including job performance, school work, and even our relationships. Interestingly, there are several ways to deal with anxiety such that it doesn’t lead to serious health issues. In this post, we take a look at five healthy ways to deal with anxiety.
As is our custom, before we proceed, here is a list of related posts we believe you’ll find equally useful:
- How to Keep Yourself Motivated in Life
- How to Balance Work and Family Life in Today’s World
- Fifteen Quotes on Optimism to Brighten your Day
- How to keep Hope alive during Tough Times
- How to Stay Focused in a World Full of Distractions
Also, if you’ve not yet subscribed to our electronic mailing list, you can do so below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Your subscription allows us to send inspiring posts like this to you via email.
Now, let’s take a closer look at what anxiety is as we figure out how best to deal with anxiety.
What Is Anxiety?
According to Cambridge Dictionary, Anxiety is an unpleasant state of mental uneasiness, nervousness, apprehension and obsession or concern about some uncertain event. In other words, anxiety affects an individual’s mental state. While it’s not unusual to get anxious once in a while, improperly managed anxiety can lead to mental disorders.
So, how do you know when your anxiety has become a disorder? In the next section, we discuss signs and causes of anxiety.
Some Signs and Causes of Anxiety
These are some of the common signs of anxiety:
- Nervousness or restlessness;
- Having difficulty concentrating, or having your mind go blank;
- Difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or having restless sleep;
- Being irritable;
- Over planning.
An example of causes of anxiety is the current situation we have with the Coronavirus (Covid-19). While it’s cause for concern, that concern should be managed so it doesn’t escalate into anxiety that produces mental disorders.
How to Deal with Anxiety
So here are five ways to deal with anxiety
- Stop, Breathe and Figure out what triggers your Anxiety: Take time out to stop whatever you are doing, and breathe. You can do this by relaxing, listening to music or even reading a book. While relaxing, think about what’s making you anxious and what could have triggered it. Doing this will help clear your mind and identify anxiety triggers to avoid. Once you’ve identified them, you can figure out how to manage anxiety when it happens.
- Accept that You cannot Control Everything: Understand that life can be unpredictable and that sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you just can’t control it. Accepting this will help you realize that it’s not your fault when things don’t go right, especially after you’ve done everything you can do.
- Focus on what you can Change: While we cannot control everything in life, we can be proactive with the decisions we take every day. Instead of leaving thing to fate, we can change our attitudes and take charge of those things we have control over. For example, instead of being anxious about failing an exam, focus on doing your best by studying hard. Or instead of getting anxious about falling sick, you can focus on taking care of yourself through diet and exercise.
- Get help by talking to Someone: Having someone to talk to when you feel overwhelmed is a sure way to deal with anxiety. Bottling things up and trying to figure it out on your own might be a costly mistake particularly if you always find yourself being overly overwhelmed. And if peradventure you find it extremely difficult to get things over with in time, seek professional or medical help.
- Keep your Mind and Body Healthy: Exercise is useful in keeping your body and mind healthy. Exercise is a proven way of dealing with anxiety and can help you manage your anxieties and worries. Other ways to keep your mind and body healthy include getting enough sleep, eating right and staying in touch with your family and friends.
How have you dealt with your own anxieties? Do you have specific ways of managing them? Feel free to leave us a comment at the end of this post. We would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote today is by Chris Rock, the American Comedian and Actor
There are only three things women need in life: food, water and compliments.
Do you agree? Leave us a comment at the end of this post.
Have a great week ahead and we will see you again in a few days with another inspiring post.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.