In our last post, we took a look at the subject of career growth and personal development in the workplace. Today, we would like to take a look at personal development activities and exercises that can help advance one’s life.
In our post titled Four ways to encourage Career Growth and Personal Development in the Workplace, we saw that personal development is the process of improving oneself through such activities as enhancing employment skills, increasing consciousness and building wealth. As a matter of fact, these personal development activities help stimulate personal growth by giving one specific personal and career goals to reach for. So we will take a closer look at a few personal development exercises and activities that promote personal development.
Before we proceed, we would like to remind you to subscribe to our electronic mailing list. If you’ve not done so yet, your subscription will allow us to notify you every time we release a new post. To subscribe, simply enter your email in the subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
We encourage you to also take a look at these related posts we’ve written on this subject in the past:
- Seven Steps to Creating a Profitable Customer Service Strategy
- Five Essential Qualities of Leadership
- How to manage Time effectively and become more Productive
- The Importance of Integrity in the Workplace
Now let’s take a look at some personal development exercises one can do on a daily basis.
Personal Development Exercises
Like with physical exercise, stretching oneself with activities that revolve around development of career and personal skills can be crucial to one’s success. Here are some personal development exercises one can practice to advance in life:
- Develop a reading habit to expand your intelligence;
- Learn new skills often;
- Take time out to meditate on your goals and plans regularly;
- Intentionally align your priorities with your goals and values;
- Find ways to measure your improvement.
Personal Development Activities
Now, let’s take a look at five personal development activities one can engage in to advance in life:
- Develop a Personal Vision: Most people find it easier to motivate themselves to learn and improve if they have a reason to do so. Developing a personal vision helps clarify your motives for wanting to develop yourself. A personal vision outlines a clear idea of where you want to be in a few months or even years, and why.
- Plan and organize your Personal Development: Once clear about where one want to be, one can start planning on how to get there. Without setting steps and stages of growth needed to actualize one’s vision, a personal vision will remain a dream. However, drawing up a personal development plan makes the planning process more realistic. It also helps prioritize one’s energy towards the things that matter such as a career, interpersonal relationships, and yourself.
- Direct your Thoughts towards the Plan: Thoughts and perspectives are important. After developing your personal vision and planning steps on how to get there, one should also get in the right frame of mind. This is because negative perspectives will only lead you into negative habits such as complaining and dwelling on your failures. Instead, focus on the goals you want to achieve and things you need to do to achieve them. Doing this will help you let go of your fears, break out of your comfort zone and reach for the goals you’ve set.
- Start the Process and Take Note of your Progress: As with almost everything else, starting is not always easy. It is however, almost always worthwhile. Starting however, is not enough by itself. Also take time out to periodically measure your progress with your personal development activities. This will also help you learn from your mistakes and successes as they happen.
- Review and Revise your Personal Development Activities: It is important to reflect on your experiences, and learn from them. Once you start to work on your development, it is necessary to review your strategy and where necessary, revise it. Doing this will ensure that your activities continue to move you towards your goals, and that your goals remain relevant as you grow in your career.
Personal development activities and exercises can help push you towards achieving your personal and career goals. How have you developed yourself in the last five years? Do you engage in some of the personal development exercises we listed earlier? Or do you have additional exercises you engage in? Leave us a comment at the end of this post; we would love to hear from you
Today’s Funny Quote
Today, our funny quote is by Erich Fromm, the Social Psychologist
Oh! The irony, “modern man thinks he loses time when he does not do things quickly. Yet he does not know what to do with the time he gains, except kill it”.
Have a great week and we will see you again on Friday with another inspiring Innovate Today post.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.