Being grateful is a conscious act. As a matter of fact, it’s an attitude that requires practice and nurturing. As the year gradually winds down, you may start to wonder if you have reasons to be grateful. Perhaps you’ve reviewed your initial goals for the year and found that you’ve barely achieved any of them. Or maybe you lost a dear friend or a loved one. Or maybe things have just been really tough this year. Regardless, we’d like to encourage you not to despair.
In today’s world, it’s easy to be ungrateful. With all the shiny new tech and products that are launched every day, it’s really easy to want things you don’t have the resources to get. Sadly, everywhere we turn, we’re reminded of how little we do have and the need for more, rather than how much we should be grateful for. Nevertheless, to live life to the fullest, we must learn to appreciate the present and what we have now. As the quote from that old song by Johnson Oatman Jr. goes,
Count your blessings name them one by one,
count your blessings see what God has done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one
and it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
In our post today, we discuss the subject of gratitude and ten reasons to be grateful.
What is Gratitude?
The Oxford dictionary defines gratitude as “the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness”. As an emotion, gratitude is a feeling of happiness that comes from appreciation. The implication here is that it is a reaction to acts of kindness done to you and a willingness to reciprocate or show kindness to others.
While this is true, there is another dimension of gratitude that we’d like to discuss; this is an attitude of being thankful and grateful. This means being grateful as you come across different situations and circumstances. For example, while it is true that we cannot control the situations that happen to us, we can determine, through our attitude, how those situations affect us. How we experience situations is a choice and that’s how gratitude can change our experiences.
Before we continue, we would like to mention that developing a grateful attitude requires practice. It must is a conscious effort, especially during difficult situations. As you take time to develop such an attitude, you’ll find that things become easier. You’ll be less stressed and more prepared to take advantage of opportunities when they come. This is not a message on religious fanaticism but on how a grateful attitude can produce positive situations and opportunities. We would like to encourage you to try it for a week and see what change you experience. As always, feel free to leave us your comments at the end of this post; we love hearing from our readers.
Ten Reasons to be Grateful Today
Like our quote from Johnson Oatman Jr. says, count your blessings, name them one by one… So every now and then, it’s a good idea to take stock of just how good you have it. To help with that, here is a list of ten reasons to be grateful today and every other day.
- Be Grateful for Life: You woke up today, breathing and with a heartbeat. You get to enjoy today and hopefully wake up again tomorrow. Remember, life is a gift so enjoy it.
- Good Health: Also be grateful for your health because it is the foundation for a lot of other things. As the popular saying goes, health is wealth.
- Be Grateful for Family: Strange as it may seem, there are people in the world who do not have family. So be thankful and express your gratitude if you are lucky enough to have them. These are the people who will be there for you through thick and thin.
- Be Grateful for Time: While you may feel like you never have enough of it you should still be grateful for what time you do have. Be grateful that you get the opportunity to do the things you love, go to the places you want and spend that time with people you love and who love you.
- For Love: Not everyone is privileged to find true love. Many rich people only have people around them because of their money. If you have true love in your life, be grateful and never take it for granted. Express your gratitude every chance you get.
- Be Grateful for Good Food: Sometimes, there is nothing like enjoying a big bowl of your favorite food dish served in the comfort of your home with friends and family. We should be grateful for good food and the ability to eat.
- Your Challenges: Strange as that may sound, challenges have a way of pushing us to become better. So, be grateful for the challenges you face, knowing that they will force you to become better and prepare you for the future.
- Be Grateful for Friends: Good friends are hard to find. Great friends on the other hand are a rare gem. If you have great friends, remember to be grateful for them and express your love and appreciation to them.
- Opportunities: Be grateful for opportunities, like employment because it helps pay the bills and adds variety and color to life.
- Be Grateful for Technology: It is important to be grateful for today’s modern technology. Think about how much they contribute to your daily life and how they make work easier.
As we conclude this post, we would like to leave you with a word of encouragement.
Life can be tough. In fact, if you do the opposite of counting your blessings, you will find several reasons to be sad and discouraged. Rather, we encourage you not to do that. Instead, think of all the people who have been a blessing in your life. Think of your family and friends. Also think about your hopes and dreams.
Being grateful doesn’t mean accepting failure and defeat. It means appreciating what you have today while working hard to achieve your dreams and goals for tomorrow. Being grateful will put you in a frame of mind to reach even harder for those goals and reach them.
We also recommend the following related posts for additional reading:
Today’s Funny Quote
As is our custom, we would like to leave you with a funny quote. Today’s funny quote is by Claire Cook, the American Writer and public Speaker
If “Plan A” fails, remember that there are 25 more letters.
If you found this post inspiring, we would like to encourage you to subscribe to our mailing list. Your subscription will allow us to notify you by email every time we publish a new post. Simply enter your name and email in the subscription field below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Have an awesome weekend and we will see you again on Monday with another inspiring post.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.