Dr. John C. Maxwell is an American Author, Speaker and Pastor who has written at least 17 books on the subject of leadership. As you may also know, he is credited with authoring the quote our post topic is based on. He said “Everything rises and falls on leadership…”.
We love this quote because it stresses the importance of leadership and the simple fact that nothing works without good leadership. On the other hand, as crucial as leadership is, it wins only half the battle. In our post today, we discuss the all important subject and cover aspects such as what leadership is, why it is important and the benefits of good leadership.
You may also read some of our previous posts on the subject below:
- How Passion creates great Leaders
- The Courage to Lead
- Seven Team Management Skills you need to Effectively Lead your Team
- Seven Tips on How to Lead during a Crisis
If you’d like to take a deeper look at the subject, we recommend these books by some really great authors, including John C. Maxwell
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John C. Maxwell
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap…And Others Don’t by Jim Collins
- Spirit Of Leadership by Myles Munroe
What is Leadership?
According to John C. Maxwell, Leadership is about people and for people. It is about being willing and committed to leading others to achieve a common vision and goal through positive influence. On the other hand, Dr. Myles Munroe defined it as “the capacity to influence others through inspiration, motivated by passion, generated by vision, produced by a conviction, ignited by a purpose”.
From these excellent definitions, we see that leadership has nothing to do with position but rather with vision, goals, purpose and positive influence.
Why is Leadership Important?
Leadership plays an important part in the success of any organization. In its absence, organizations do not have a common goal or the proper motivation needed to achieve them. In this section, we highlight six benefits of good leadership.
- It initiates action: Leaders start work by communicating their visions, goals and objectives or those of the company to team mates. This sets the pace and determines where the team or company is heading.
- Motivation: Besides providing a unifying objective, leadership provides the motivation needed to achieve goals. This includes positive influence, inspiring greater commitment and even stirring up passion for the cause.
- Provides guidance: Guidance here means instructing team mates or followers on how to perform their duties effectively and efficiently.
- Builds morale: Morale denotes willing co-operation of team mates or employees towards work. A leader can build morale by inspiring and motivating followers.
- Builds a work environment: Efficient work environments promote stable growth. Good leaders create work environments that also cater to the emotional, financial and personal needs of team mates. The idea here is that balanced employees or followers are more capable in achieving corporate goals.
- Co-ordination: Co-ordination can be achieved through reconciling personal interests with organizational goals. This synchronization can be achieved through proper and effective co-ordination which should be a primary motive of every good leader.
The benefits of leadership listed above go to show how everything rises and falls on leadership. What are your thoughts on leadership? How do you define leadership? Have you worked with great leaders in the past? What were their management styles? Leave us a comment at the end of this post. We would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Post
Our funny quote for today is by Bill Gates, the American Business Magnate and co-founder of Microsoft
I choose a lazy person to do a hard job, because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.
We would like you to take some time to review how you lead, whether at home or at work. Consider the possibility of improving your leadership style. If in fact everything rises and falls on leadership, it may be a good idea to invest in improving your leadership skills.
Before you go, remember to subscribe to our mailing list if you’ve not done so yet. Simply fill in your name and email in the subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Have an enjoyable weekend and we will see you again on Monday with another inspiring post.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.