Time is precious. As we grow older and take on more responsibilities, most people come to the conclusion that they must find ways to manage time effectively. This realization most often comes as a result of not having enough time to do the things that need to be done. So in a bid to become more productive, they begin to explore effective time management techniques.
If this describes you, take a deep breath and relax. You are definitely not alone. In our post today, we will take an in-depth look at time management, time management exercises, strategies for time management and a few practical ways to manage time effectively and become more productive.
If you have not done so yet, we invite you to subscribe to our electronic mailing list. This way, you can receive other excellent posts like this directly via email. To subscribe, simply enter your name and email in the subscribe section below:
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
Other related articles we have written on this subject are listed below:
- How to build great relationships in the Workplace
- What is your Dream Job?
- Ten Inspiring Quotes about Hard Work
Now let’s get into the subject of effective time management.
What is Time Management?
Time management refers to how you schedule and organize your time for different activities. Time, like money, is one of the most valuable resources anyone can have. In fact, the phrase “time is money” is a perfect expression of the importance of time. The ultimate purpose of good time management is to help one work smarter, not as hard, while being able to get more done in less time.
Time Management Exercises
As we stated earlier, time is a most precious resource. It is the most valuable resource one can have because it can be traded for other valuable resources. For example, you trade time and effort in school to get a College degree. You also trade time and effort to build a successful company or career. Sadly though, time is perishable, irreplaceable, and cannot be saved. It can only be reassigned to address more important activities.
Time management exercises help one practice reassigning time to more important activities. For example, what are the five most important things you wanted to do today? In what order do you prioritize them? You’ll find that listing and prioritizing those tasks will help you move closer to accomplishing them while avoiding less important activities. Once you’ve listed and prioritized you activities for the day, the next step is to work on each item in the order you have them prioritized.
With the right time management exercises, you can take control of your time, making your work efficient, productive, and relatively stress-free. Once again, here are the time management exercise steps:
- Identify your most important tasks;
- Decide when to do them and how long each task should take;
- Do them.
These exercises makes a huge difference, especially when you actually need to effectively manage your time for a specific task. We encourage you to try them out and note the effect it has on your day. You’re also welcome to share your experience with us in our comments section at the end of this article.
Time Management Strategies
Effective time management strategies allow you to get better results at work. They also help ensure that distraction and interruptions to your schedule are kept at a minimum. The following time management strategies when coupled with the time management exercises listed above will help you remain flexible, while accomplishing more on a daily basis:
- Start your day with a clear focus;
- Have a dynamic To-Do List that allows you to add on more tasks, if necessary;
- Focus on high-value activities;
- Minimize interruptions;
- Avoid procrastinating.
How to Manage Time Effectively and Become More Productive
In this section, we consider seven ways to manage time more effectively and become more productive.
- Set Goals: Goal setting is crucial to any good time management strategy. Defining your personal and corporate goals in clear and attainable terms is crucial. After all, if your goal is to just “to grow your business,” you might find yourself overwhelmed and not know where to begin. These goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time bound. A clearly defined example of goal setting would be to increase your customer base by 100 customers before the end of the year.
- Prioritize wisely: Once you’ve set your goals and determined the individual tasks you need to complete to achieve them, it’s time to prioritize. Of course, you want to make sure you’re getting things done, but they should be the right things done in the right order. Placing each task in order of importance and urgency can also help you address future challenges before they come up.
- Learn to say No: If you have to decline a request in order to attend to what’s truly important and urgent, do not hesitate to do so. The same goes for projects and activities you’ve determined are headed nowhere. When you say no to unprofitable tasks, also be prepared to move on to more productive assignments. Over time and through experience, you’ll learn what tasks to avoid and what tasks are not profitable.
- Plan ahead: One of the worst things one can do is jump into the workday with no clear idea about what needs to get done. While it might seem like a waste of time to take five to ten minutes to create a plan, you’ll be surprised at how efficient you can be when you do take the time to do so. If you plan your time wisely, you can focus on one task at a time, rather than wasting time jumping from one thing to the next and barely completing anything.
- Delegate more often: If you have hired employees, one of the most impactful management tools available to you is the power to delegate. Running a successful small business depends on the owner’s ability to think ahead and plan accordingly. Look for opportunities to pass responsibility for specific tasks to others on your team. After all, that’s what you hired them for, isn’t it?
- Track your time: How many productive hours do you actually have each week? Time tracking is an extremely effective tool to help gauge how much time a single task takes. With a simple timesheet tracker, you can easily clock in and out of various tasks or projects throughout the day. Alternatively, you can also make use of online tools such as Slack to collaborate and manage your time.
- Take time for yourself: This tip is often forgotten in the hustle and bustle of running a successful business. However, taking care of yourself i.e. getting plenty of sleep and exercise is critical to maintaining any upward growth trajectory. Making sure you have some free time to spend with the people and things you love is important for your mental health. Taking time out to take care of yourself will keep you energized and passionate and ready for the growth your productivity will bring.
We’ve covered a lot in today’s post. We’ve discussed time management exercises, time management strategies and some tips on how to be more productive with time. As always, feel free to leave us a comment on your thoughts or experiences. We love hearing from our readers.
Today’s Funny Quote
Our funny quote today is an anonymous quote we find quite hilarious. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Here it is:
He stole my heart, so i’m planning revenge…I’m going to take his last name.
If you enjoyed this post, we invite you to share it on social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram). You can share this post using the social media buttons on the left side of this page or at the end of the post. You can also follow us on social media. Our social media handle is @idscreate.
Have a great week ahead and we will see you again on Friday.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.