The right sales strategies are essential to the sustained growth of any business. As a matter of fact, the perfect sales strategy can make your business and set you apart from your competitors. It therefore stands to reason that developing winning sales strategies is essential for every startup.
In the last few weeks, we have written several posts on the subject of sales, marketing and capacity building that we believe you will find useful. If you missed any of them, use the links below to review those posts.
- Capacity Building Techniques for Small Business Owners;
- Marketing Tactics for Small Business Owners;
- How to create an Effective Strategic Marketing Plan for your Business; and
- Five ways Brand Marketing will benefit your Business
Also, you can subscribe to our mailing list to receive update notifications from us by email. Simply subscribe using the subscribe section below
Please enter your name and email address to subscribe.
In this post, we review ten proven sales strategies used by experts in the sales industry. While we understand that these strategies are not in any way exhaustive, we believe they are effective and useful for all business types.
Before we delve into these sales strategies, let’s take a quick look at what a sales strategy is and how it is beneficial to businesses.
What is a Sales Strategy?
A sales strategy is a series of carefully thought out activities that help businesses improve sales. It acquaints you with business problem areas and defines routes that can be taken to achieve business goals. The right sales strategies will support your sales efforts and ease your journey to reach sales goals.
A well-defined sales strategy creates a path to meaningful, sustainable growth for companies.
Ten proven Sales Strategies revealed by the Experts
With the evolution of technology and its increased use in the business industry, we see new and effective sales strategies emerge regularly. That being said, several sales strategies have been in existence for ages and can be reinvented for use with today’s modern technologies. Below, we list, in no particular order, ten proven strategies for increased sales as used by sales experts.
- Evaluate past sales: Evaluate your goals from previous years to determine in your company goals were achieved. If not, you can take things a step further and figure out why these sales goals were not met. Once you figure out what went wrong, you can devise strategies to prevent them from reoccurring.
- Set specific goals: Goal setting is essential to success in business. It literally defines the standards by which your sales results are to be measured. Also, when specific goals are set, they define what needs to be done and how it should be done. This has proven to be a most effective sales strategy for increasing business sales.
- Clearly define end Results: People buy results, not just products or services. Once you’ve defined the goals you wish to achieve, the method to achieve those goals must also be clearly defined.
- Attract your target market: Regardless of whether you’re selling a service or physical good, you need to understand what it takes to attract your target customers and decide how much revenue you want to earn from them.
- Understand your customers: Understanding the needs of your customers before launching out will help amass vital information to understand them. Businesses that understand the needs of their customers are more effective in meeting those needs.
- Be helpful: At the end of the day, if your sales strategy isn’t built around being genuinely helpful to your prospective clients, your businesss will miss a lot of business opportunities.
- Perfect your sales pitch: Once you’re confident that you’ve connected with the right contacts, you need to create an effective sales pitch that will capture the attention of your prospect and keep the conversation moving in the right direction.
- Be patient and negotiate: Negotiation is the most crucial stage in the sales process. Care needs to be taken while discussing with the client to ensure that they understand the value of your product or service. Being patient while negotiating is a sales strategy that can help save deals.
- Follow up until you get a definite answer: The point of following up until you get a definitive answer is to ensure that you never leave a “maybe” on the table. Sometimes, persistence is the key that’s needed to seal the deal.
- Be flexible: Flexibility in your business dealings will allow for innovation and creativity which will be useful to reach your corporate goals. While every task within a business doesn’t need great innovation, the overall vision of a business has to be adaptable to change and flexible.
What sales strategies have you used in your business? Are there any ones in particular that you have found useful? Or are there other proven sales strategies that we have not included in this list? Feel free to leave us a comment in the comments section below. We would love to hear from you.
Today’s Funny Quote
As is our custom, we leave you with a funny quote as we end this post. Our funny quote today is by Bill Watterson, the Cartoonist and Author,
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Have a great week ahead and see you again on Friday.
Innovate Design Studios creates innovative web design solutions that provide you with a secure, custom designed web presence that promotes your business and generates revenue and exposure.